Deuteronomy by Christopher J. H. Wright

I cannot recommended this commentary. It has too many non-sequiturs in its arguments. For instance Wright admits that the text we have has developed over the centuries from a core that goes back to the conquest, but then argues we must read our current text in the context of the conquest, never mind that the text we have - by his own admission - is intended for a later audience.

Another example - commenting on chapter 7 he argues that 'herem' should be read as 'totally repudiate' rather than 'utterly destroy' (a somewhat contentious reading in itself) but then interprets chapter 20 without reference to this alternative reading.

Read Duane L Christensen in the WBC series - it comes from a similar moderately conservative evangelical background, but is a much more profound and carefully thought through commentary. ( )
  TonyMilner | Feb 1, 2011 |

The Understanding the Bible Commentary Series helps any reader navigate the strange and sometimes intimidating literary terrain of the Bible. These accessible volumes break down the barriers between the ancient and modern worlds so that the power and meaning of the biblical texts become transparent to contemporary readers. The contributors tackle the task of interpretation using the full range of critical methodologies and practices, yet they do so as people of faith who hold the text in the highest regard. Pastors, teachers, and lay people alike will cherish the easily understandable truth found in this commentary series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:39 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,079,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible