The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper

The Dark is Rising Sequence

by Susan Cooper

Series: The Dark is Rising Sequence (Omnibus 1-5)

2,047453,258 (4.3)3 / 30
20th century (11) adventure (14) Arthurian (32) Arthurian legend (22) British (16) children (24) children's (88) children's fiction (24) children's literature (39) classic (12) dark is rising (33) England (24) fantasy (423) favorite (14) fiction (231) juvenile (12) King Arthur (21) magic (34) mythology (18) novel (15) omnibus (40) own (14) read (34) series (39) sff (15) to-read (16) unread (14) Wales (27) YA (59) young adult (88)
    A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Both books vividly depict the merging of past and present, and have a strong sense of place and of local folklore.
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (Anonymous user)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Bitter_Grace)
    The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay (Busifer)

English (44)  German (1)  All languages (45)
Best one-sentence review I ever heard about this book: "Clueless protagonist stands around while inexplicable mythemes bump into him." Still a fun read.
  weston1 | Jun 25, 2014 |
1. Over Sea, Under Stone

This is the first in The Dark is Rising sequence, of which I have a boxed set. One book in the series won the Newbery Award, while another was on the honours list.

This is the adventure that siblings Simon, Jane and Barney Drew have one summer in Cornwall, where they have been invited by their Great Uncle Merry (whom they call Gumerry). Tall, and somewhat forbidding, Gumerry tends to disappear mysteriously and then reappear suddenly, having discovered important archeological treasures abroad. As a long-standing family friend, he invites the entire family to come and stay with him in a house he rents from a friend of his in Trewissick (a fictional Cornish port, whose landscape plays an important role in the story).

One rainy day, the children explore the house and find a disintegrating document which pits them against sinister forces in a desperate race to find a long sought treasure, throwing them up against Arthurian legends and the ancient, unresolved battle between good and evil.

This book is, to me, typical of (British) children's books of that era; though it is aimed at children, it is solidly written and doesn't patronise them by glossing over details, as some children's books tend to do. Despite being a slim volume, at under 200 pages, it is crammed with narrative and quite intense in places; it had me sitting up breathlessly reading as fast as I could, as I got towards the end (even though I have read it in the past, when I was a child myself), hoping the children would beat the forces of nature and thwart the forces of evil.

A classic, and deservedly so. Five stars.
5*****

2. The Dark is Rising

This Newbery Medal Honours book though, like the rest of the sequence, not very thick, is very well written. It is not so much that it is rich in detail (though it is) as that the attention to detail makes it a beautifully crafted story. I can read it without being distracted by the way it has been written, or wondering "How did we suddenly jump to this point, when it looked like we were going in another direction altogether?" as I tend to do with a lot of contemporary works written for children.

It is a sad indictment of writing in this day and age that the 'Young Adult' or 'Juvenile Fiction' labels seem to give books permission to skimp on details or be badly paced or just generally not pay attention to the quality of the writing. Reading them next to Susan Cooper's books - or, indeed any classic; almost any children's book of yesteryear - betrays what insubstantial fare they are, like fast food compared to a decent, home-cooked meal.

"Booted and muffled, they clumped out through the sprawling kitchen. A full symphony orchestra was swelling out of the radio; their eldest sister Gwen was slicing onions and singing; their mother was bent broad-beamed and red-faced over an oven."
Just that half paragraph from The Dark is Rising sets the scene and puts you right in the middle of a chaotic, comfortable home life.

But back to the story:

On his eleventh birthday, Will Stanton comes into his inheritance, when he discovers that he is the last of the Old Ones who have defended the world against the Dark through the centuries. And in the darkest days of mid-winter when the Dark is at its strongest, he has to fulfill the prophecy and prevent the Dark from rising, while the Dark makes a desperate attempt to prevent Will from completing his mission. For Will is the Sign Seeker, who is to find the six signs that will win a powerful victory against the Dark; but success is not a foregone conclusion. The Grail has been found, and the final battle is coming, and everything could turn on the strength of this last and youngest of the Old Ones .

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone.

Though slim, this Medal nominee is wonderfully crafted. Though it is written for children, it pulls no punches and the characters face real dangers.

On a personal note, I liked the Thames valley being an important feature in the plot.

I suppose in this day and age these books could also be classified as urban fantasy. Unlike most contemporary urban fantasy, where I'm never sure at what point to suspend disbelief, the magic and fantasy are seamlessly woven into events and feel like a logical extension, so that no suspension is necessary.

Very well written. Five stars.
5*****

1 vote humouress | Jul 24, 2013 |
I haven't seen the movie and I don't intend to because this series (despite its problematic reliance on a racist dark is bad, light is good central image) was incredibly important to me as a kid. I'd re-read the whole series every year. I preferred it to the Narnia series. I re-read it a few years ago and it's still powerful. Much of it is set in Wales! There's an emo boy protagonist! It has to do with King Arthur! That's all I'm saying.

anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is probably my favourite series of books of all time.

[b:Over Sea Under Stone|11312|Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising, Book 1)|Susan Cooper|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166468889s/11312.jpg|742] is aimed at the youngest audience of the five books, but it's still readable and the prose is lovely. The characters are instantly recognisable as children, rather than the mini-adults some writers make children, and they're easy to identify with. If nothing else, you have to be charmed by Barney. There's real suspense in this book: if your heart isn't in your mouth while Barney and Simon are crawling through the tunnel, you have no soul. More detailed review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/39358120

The Dark Is Rising, the second book, seems to be for a bit older audience. It constantly amazes me how well even minor characters, like Paul Stanton, are developed. Will Stanton is both human and alien -- as he should be. His coming of age rings very true: one moment he's accepting his power, but the next he's still a young boy setting fire to things. I have a more detailed review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/39513314

Greenwitch is the shortest book. It's the one I think of as focusing more on Jane -- I got to care about her more in this one. Again, the characters are amazingly believable, and there's real tension and suspense. Longer review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/39768046

The Grey King is lovely. It introduces the final member of the Six, Bran Davies. It's also set in Wales, which naturally endears it to me. The characters in this book are all believable and spectacular. And the very end, where Owen and Bran stand together, brings a lump to my throat every time. Proper review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/39966215

Silver On The Tree is the final book. Everything comes together here. More tension, more glorious characters -- and a wonderful ending that kinda makes me want to kill Susan Cooper for what she's done to some of my favourite characters. Full review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/40023606

The background mythology is extremely interesting and drawn from all parts of the UK. The movie stripped all of this away, among other things, so I boycotted it.

(Sorry my html wasn't working; the links would've looked more elegant...) ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I've called this series a favorite for a good 15 years now and recommend it to everyone I meet when we get on the topics of books. There's a good mix of Arthurian lure, adventure, and heart.

I love many different locations the stories take place in and how the characters vary between books. There's a fantastic layer after layer after layer effect with the characters that is perfect.

I recommend this to everyone, and have been known to tell people that if they need to skip Over Sea Under Stone, it's okay. I personally read The Grey King and Silver on the Tree first, then went back to the beginning.

Enjoy the series.

Quick Edit: Read this series, it rocks! ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Susan Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where is he?" (Over sea, under stone)
"Too many!" James shouted, and slammed the door behind him. (The Dark is rising)
Only one newspaper carried the story in detail, under the headline: Treasures Stolen From Museum. (Greenwitch)
"Are you awake, Will?" (The Grey King)
Will said, turning a page, "He liked woad." (Silver on the tree)
This LT work, The Dark Is Rising Sequence, is Books 1-5 (of 5 Books) in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence. Please distinguish it from any single titles in the series (i.e., Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark Is Rising; Greenwitch; The Grey King; and Silver on the Tree), and from any other combination(s) of part of the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0020425651, Paperback)

Joined by destiny, the lives of the Drew children, Will Stanton, and a boy named Bran weave together in an exquisite, sometimes terrifying tapestry of mystery and quests. In the five-title series of novels known as The Dark Is Rising Sequence, these children pit the power of good against the evil forces of Dark in a timeless and dangerous battle that includes crystal swords, golden grails, and a silver-eyed dog that can see the wind. Susan Cooper's highly acclaimed fantasy novels, steeped in Celtic and Welsh legends, have won numerous awards, including the Newbery Medal and the Newbery Honor. Now all five paperback volumes have been collected in one smart boxed set. These classic fantasies, complex and multifaceted, should not be missed, by child or adult. The set includes Over Sea, Under Stone, The Dark Is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, and Silver on the Tree. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:43 -0400)

A saga of the relentless battle between the Light and the Dark. As the Darkness threatens to take over, four children must do their part to fight for the victory of the Light - or all good will be lost forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,213,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible