The dark is rising : Over sea, under stone ;…

The dark is rising : Over sea, under stone ; The dark is rising ;… (original 1984; edition 1996)

by Susan Cooper

2,716504,430 (4.32)2 / 42
A saga of the relentless battle between the Light and the Dark. As the Darkness threatens to take over, four children must do their part to fight for the victory of the Light - or all good will be lost forever.
Member:JoeFieldWriter
Title:The dark is rising : Over sea, under stone ; The dark is rising ; Greenwitch ; The grey king ; Silver on the tree
Authors:Susan Cooper
Info:[S.l.] : Guild America Books, [1996?]

Work Information

The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper (1984)

A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Both books vividly depict the merging of past and present, and have a strong sense of place and of local folklore.
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (amanda4242)
    Seaward by Susan Cooper (Anonymous user)
    The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay (Busifer)
    Monster Blood Tattoo, Book 1: Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Bitter_Grace)

English (50)  German (1)  All languages (51)
I read books 1 and 2 from this collection. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second was just OK. The second was written about ten years after the first.

With the second book, The Dark is Rising, I enjoyed the relaxed reading. The setting was mostly modern to begin with but then shifted at times, providing one of its fantasy elements. The author does a great job describing environments and helping you create a picture in your mind. I thought the story itself was light on the scale of interesting. It showed that it is a middle-aged child's book primarily. Granted, the book's entertainment value is competing with my love of the LotR. Another fact about my taste that makes this review quite subjective is I do not like magic and magical rituals or relics most of the time. In contrast to The Dark is Rising, the Lord of the Rings refers to magic in a very subtle way; it really only hints at magic instead of defining or explaining it. I like that.

I might someday read books 3-5, but I am not planning on it. ( )
  014 | May 4, 2020 |
This series by Susan Cooper was one of my favorite series of all time. I have read and re-read these books more times that I can count. After reading these books as a pre-teen, I sought out every book by Susan Cooper from my local library and read them all. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
At this point, I have only re-read the first of the books in this series. As a whole, the book holds up well to reading as an adult, which I was only a little surprised at. I did find a lot of scenes quite confronting, not least because I know that the attitudes to childhood freedom have changed a lot, and the amount of freedom that these children have, roaming around a strange town, would be considered strange and unacceptable to a greater or lesser extent. This was particularly noticeable at points where I was sure that the kids were heading in to danger.

Book 1 does a good job of presenting a good-v-evil story, with slightly over the top villains, lack of communication, and the odd bit of misdirection, as both sides strive to locate a missing artefact. Very much a kids adventure story, with some of the scenes feeling very much like they are added for padding to keep it from getting very dark indeed. ( )
  fred_mouse | Dec 30, 2017 |
The Dark is Rising; Over Sea, Under Stone; Greenwitch, The Grey King; Silver On the Tree
  louisaemmons | Aug 31, 2017 |
Probably one of the best 'young adults' series, although it can be enjoyed by any age. I couldn't wait to pick up the next book, gripping and 'edge of the seat' writing! ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |

Susan Cooperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where is he?" (Over sea, under stone)
"Too many!" James shouted, and slammed the door behind him. (The Dark is rising)
Only one newspaper carried the story in detail, under the headline: Treasures Stolen From Museum. (Greenwitch)
"Are you awake, Will?" (The Grey King)
Will said, turning a page, "He liked woad." (Silver on the tree)
This LT work, The Dark Is Rising Sequence, is Books 1-5 (of 5 Books) in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence. Please distinguish it from any single titles in the series (i.e., Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark Is Rising; Greenwitch; The Grey King; and Silver on the Tree), and from any other combination(s) of part of the series. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,545,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible