Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to uphold their beliefs--and, perhaps, save their own lives.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce, LAKobow)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    LAKobow: This also deals with dystopian organ donation
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (snarkhunting)
    snarkhunting: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (380)  Italian (1)  All languages (381)
This book is good, it makes you think. I like the characters and the plot was interesting. ( )
  DoomLuz | Jul 20, 2021 |
After many years of warring, in a dystopian future, the pro life and pro choice movements have reached a truce that from conception to age 13, no harm may come to a child; however, from age 13 to 18, parents can decide to "unwind" a child where they are recycled for parts. Connor is a troublemaker, Risa is a unwanted orphan, and Lev is a religious tithe, who are thrown together by a confluence of events and then go on the lam, ending up together in the harvest factory. Good premise, good plot, good characters: 4.5 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. The character development is astounding. I was laughing, crying, shocked to the point of gasping. I have never went through such a range of emotions over one character or felt so bad for an antagonist character before in all my years of reading. This is definitely one of those books I will think about for a long time and a series that I will undoubtedly follow up on. It has earned every one of those stars. ( )
  HLWard94 | Jul 7, 2021 |
teen fiction; sci-fi suspense.

Tissues and organs--
worth more to society
than 3 troubled teens.

There are actually a lot of thought-provoking issues in here; the policy of "unwinding" unwanted teens was the resolution that ended a civil war in the States over abortion policy. This was the first Shusterman title I've read, and I was not disappointed--glad to have another author I can recommend for kids that need more excitement in their reading materials. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This is a good jump start to conversation about sexual responsibility. And a good story, too. I intend to continue the series. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,270,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible