Green Lantern Corps. : A Dark Side Of Green…

Green Lantern Corps. : A Dark Side Of Green

by Dave Gibbons

47None245,486 (4)None

I'd never read any Green Lantern or Green Lantern corps before I saw this. I wouldn't call myself a huge superhero comics fan. I'd seen Dave Gibbons' name on Watchmen so I picked this up. I knew the basic facts about the Green Lantern: he found a ring which gave him special powers to fight evil. The science-fictional aspect seems to be that these rings are scattered across the galaxy, and those who find them become a kind of space police in an (implicitly) evil universe. The Green Lantern Corps seems to be composed of many Star Wars/Star Trek type humanoid aliens with different animal heads. All female Green Lanterns, alien or not in this book are incredibly voluptuous, almost flowing out of their skin-tight catsuits.

This volume contains two stories which seem only vaguely connected, except by having the same hero, Gardiner -- but perhaps I am missing something. The first story concerned a klnd of Green Lantern Black Ops, which the hero almost joined, but by the end was too nice to continue his employment there (and had his memory erased for his trouble). The story was suitably dark and sinister and I quite enjoyed it, even if the villain (who looked a little like a Ridley Scott Alien) was a bit of a cliche.

The second story, the one written by Gibbons was more of a internal corruption police story. The hero was framed for murder and had to clear his name, which happened remarkably quickly in the end. The most interesting idea in the story was a sentient planet which was also a Green Lantern, and was used as a R&R and counselling service for Green Lanterns who had seen too much evil and needed to recuperate.

Overall I found the concept a little bit silly, the aliens very much so, though the curvaceous lady Green Lanterns were nice to look at. ( )
  questbird | Oct 24, 2010 |
Two very enjoyable arcs by Champagne and Gibbons. The first issues of this series showed a lot of promise, but in this trade GLC is really hitting its stride. What makes this series so interesing is the varied cast of characters and their motivations. Gardner is the focal point, but other members get fleshed out as well. The action is scattered across the universe, which brings the need for a lot of cuts. The pacing isn't affected by this however.

The quality of this series surprised me, I even prefer it to Johns' GL at this point. ( )
  Creamium | Jun 13, 2009 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible