Thérèse Desqueyroux (1927)

by François Mauriac

Fran ois Mauriac's masterpiece and one of the greatest Catholic novels, Th r se Desqueyroux is the haunting story of an unhappily married young woman whose desperation drives her to thoughts of murder. Mauriac paints an unforgettable portrait of spiritual isolation and despair, but he also dramatizes the complex realities of forgiveness, grace, and redemption. Set in the countryside outside Bordeaux, in a region of overwhelming heat and sudden storms, the novel's landscape reflects the inner world of Th r se, a figure who has captured the imaginations of readers for generations. Raymond N. MacKenzie's translation of Th r se Desqueyroux, the first since 1947, captures the poetic lyricism of Mauriac's prose as well as the intensity of his stream-of-consciousness narrative. MacKenzie also provides notes and a biographical and interpretive introduction to help readers better appreciate the mastery of Fran ois Mauriac, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1952. This volume also includes a translation of "Conscience, The Divine Instinct," Mauriac's first draft of the story, never before available in English.… (more)

English (6)  French (5)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (15)
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this.
Following Therese's path through depression and loneliness to a position of self understanding was really absorbing and kind of helpful on my own path to self knowledge.
I will be reading this again. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Meh. ( )
  KatrinkaV | Apr 19, 2017 |
In this brief novel boiling with tension, we see the inner conflicts of the type in Madam Bovary or Anna Karenina, but a lot more compressed and intense. Usually, I don’t like dark novels of this type, but what kept me hooked is the powerful story-telling of Mauriac, an absolute masterpiece. A deeply flawed character, Therese, keeps us engaged, because Mauriac has skillfully transferred her point of view upon us, so we are with her even if we know she is doing something unethical. ( )
  CorinneT | Aug 20, 2015 |
Very nice and emotional. It left me a bit dissatisfied, because I think it would've included more twists. But I loved it :) ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |

François Mauriacprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frausin Guarino, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hopkins, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacKenzie, Raymond N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Touzot, JeanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Signore, abbiate pietà dei pazzi, uomini e donne! O Creatore! Possono esistere mostri agli occhi del Solo che sa perché esistono, come si son fatti e come avrebbero potuto non farsi…

Charles Baudelaire
*Thérèse, beaucoup diront que tu n'existe pas.
*from the foreword
(THERESE) The barrister opened a door.
(THE END OF THE NIGHT) "Are you going out this evening, Anna?"

Therese Desqueyroux is probably the most famous of Mauriac''s novels, and the curiosity which this terrible and unforgettable creature aroused led the author to write the story of her last days in La Fin de la Nuit, 8 years later. The 2 short stories are interludes of her life in Paris between the years covered by the 2 novels; thus the complete story of Therese Desqueyroux is presented to the English reader for the first time.

Including 'Therese Desqueyroux', 'La Fin de la Nuit' and 2 short stories about Therese from 'Plongees'.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,285,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible