I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois…

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1973)

by Lois Duncan

Four teenagers who have desperately tried to conceal their responsibility for a hit-and-run accident are pursued by a mystery figure seeking revenge.
    What You Did by Claire McGowan (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both books show how secrets can destroy friendships.

Nice bit of fluff. ( )
  Arkrayder | Dec 11, 2018 |
This is a pretty entertaining whodunit aimed at teens. I think I watched the movie, but I couldn't remember exactly who turned out being the one so I don't know if the book is different. It isn't difficult to figure out who is doing it in the book. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
BLURB: I Know What You Did Last Summer is the story of four teenagers who make a desperate pact to conceal their responsibility for a hit-and-run accident. A major motion picture from Sony-based Mandalay Entertainment starring Jennifer Love Hewitt of Party of Five and Michelle Gellar of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer

RATING: 5 STARS FOR I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER BY: LOIS DUNCAN
STARTED: JULY 20,2014
FINISHED: JULY 18,2014

REVIEW: This book was full of mystery and suspense and I really enjoyed reading it as I was on vacation! Whenever I put it down I kept wondering what would happen next and enjoyed it very much. It kept me on my toes and I hope to read more of Lois Duncan's work as it is so wonderful and full of surprises! This group showed me how desperate they were to stay a pact or even break it so they could let go of their secret! Read the book for more details! ( )
  christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |
I've found that I love Lois Duncan's writing style, her stories, and her hidden layers, but this one fell a bit short. It's ironic since out of the stories I've read of hers, this is inferior, but it's the most popular because of the movie.

The film, by the way, is much different. We don't get a hand hook killer tracking down the teenagers. Here it's a mini mystery. The ending is rather simple and cheesy. Backstory is depressing, you feel for the victim and the consequences. I liked the main character and her personality shone through pretty well. Since the pool of possibilities is narrow, the villain isn't a huge surprise. I dug the twist about the flowers and it's false impressions, painting a potential hero as the ultimate enemy.

Tension is present, although nothing heart-pounding. There's little gore and a lower body count than the movie. As with the film, the sister of a character is unlikeable, maybe even more so in written form. The book is short so the pacing is fast, but there's not much space to draw anything out or dig too deeply into characterization.

The opening of the book was interesting enough, although the center was the most rewarding, as it was going in different directions and actually building something. Even with the ending being an anticlimactic rush, it's a passable book, even if it's not one of Duncan's best.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
For Ginger Palmer
The note was there, lying beside her plate when she came down to breakfast.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,000,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible