El nino con el pijama de rayas/ The Boy in…

El nino con el pijama de rayas/ The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Letras De… (original 2006; edition 2009)

by John Boyne

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.
Member:bibliovaldejaen
Title:El nino con el pijama de rayas/ The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Letras De Bolsillo/ Pocket Letters) (Spanish Edition)
Authors:John Boyne
Info:Salamandra Publicacions Y Edicions (2009), Edition: Tra, Paperback, 219 pages
Tags:NIÑOS, NACISMO

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (2006)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates: Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, chasebush)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti (alalba)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    I am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Patterns of Childhood by Christa Wolf (Cecrow)
    Edelweiss Pirates: The Edelweiss Express by Mark A. Cooper (Clivewatkins)
    Briar Rose by Jane Yolen (Cecrow)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about young boys who innocently befriend Jewish children imprisoned in concentration camps, without understanding the war or the Holocaust. I would highly recommend both books, especially "The Last Brother."

English (699)  Spanish (29)  Dutch (24)  German (14)  Catalan (9)  Portuguese (Portugal) (8)  Finnish (5)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Turkish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (801)
I think this book is a relatively recent edition to my collection and I bought it largely because I was familiar with the title. I knew there was a movie based on the book but I have not watched the movie. I knew that the book dealt with concentration camps during the second world war and I knew that it features 2 small children as the main characters. Aside from that, I knew nothing else about it but I have been looking forward to reading it since I bought it. I didn't wait for the TBR jar to choose this for me, I selected it because it felt like the right time to read it.

The book starts in Berlin during the second world war and we see the world through the eyes of 9 year old Bruno. His father is in the German army and due to a promotion they have to pack up and move out of Berlin and to "Out-With". It turns out that "Out-With" is a concentration camp, almost certainly Auschwitz although this is never confirmed. Bruno really doesn't like it there and has constant arguments with his older sister. As a result of having no friends he decides to go exploring and finds a boy called Shmuel on the other side of a wire fence. The boy is wearing the same as everything else inside the wire, striped pyjamas.

I will stop here with the details as I don't want to spoil things for anyone else who hasn't read it. Up until the last 3 or 4 chapters I would have given the book 3 stars. It was a good read but it felt a little weak in places and I wondered where the story was heading. The ending of the book however is fantastic, and it had me quite surprised even though in hindsight I think I should seen it coming. I thought about it a fair bit during the night when I was trying to go to sleep and I think the author picked the perfect outcome.

I really enjoyed this book, I found it to be a decent read and I would recommend it to people who haven't read it yet. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 25, 2021 |
As an adult, you'll have to overlook the obvious illogical aspects of the story, and consider this as a book for young adults. The author tells the story of the Holocaust from the perspective of a very young naive nine year-old German boy. If you understand the horrors of the Holocaust, you'll clearly know what is happening, yet unstated. The book gives a taste of the horrors without being specific at all. So a young adult could read it without being shocked, but could still gain some understanding of the horrors of war, genocide, or the holocaust. It's done simply but tastefully, and has an interesting ending.
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Reminiscent of "A Beautiful Life," this book describes Auschwitz through the eyes of a nine-year old, who does not grasp the essentials of a concentration camp. Young Bruno is uprooted from his shletered life in Berlin after his father gets a promotion to Commandant by the "Fury," who comes to dinner with his girlfriend, Eva. The new place, which Bruno calls "Out With," is desolate, with a large camp on the other side of a big fence, behind which all of the people, except the soldiers, wear gray-striped pajamas, which he can see out a small window. When boredom sets in, Bruno goes exploring and meets Shmuel, who is a prisoner on the other side of the fence. Bruno brings food and meets secretly with his friend for a year, but when his mother, sister and he are moving back to Berlin, he decides to crawl under the big fence to help Shmuel look for his father. Really bad decision. Note: I found Boyne's writing from a child's perspective much better than Emma Donoghue's Room. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This is a sad book but I think it has a great meaning behind it. I would recommend this for any grade higher than 8th because they would need to take the class over wars first. I watched the movie based on this book when I was 15 and it is a really inspiring movie that is heartbreaking. ( )
  Kym23 | Apr 30, 2021 |
John Boyne is greatly talented and his brilliance is demonstrated through this amazing piece of literature. This book is powerful and packed with adventure, as well as shows true friendship and bravery. I read this book for the first time in the 6th grade and ended up with tears. This story is told from the point of view of 9 year-old Bruno whom is totally unaware of the brutal situation going on around him (The Holocaust). Bruno creates a friendship with a Jewish boy named Shmuel who is living in a concentration camp. Although this novel is devastating and presents the true horror of the Holocaust, it is a beautiful piece of art that hooks the reader's attention. I would love to read this book to my English classes to tie in the history of the Holocaust into my lesson over Historical Fiction. ( )
  Madimurphy33 | Apr 19, 2021 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beck, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Jamie Lynch
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid - who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet - standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.

the best book ever

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible