Mother's Helper

by A. Bates

Series: Point Horror

Becky feels there's something strange about Mrs. Nelson, the mother of the child she is babysitting for the summer, then she realizes she's kidnapped her own child.

I thought this would be romantic, she admitted to herself. Keeping an eye on a poor little rich boy, living on a beautiful, remote island, making a ton of money for helping keep a little boy safe... it sounded romantic.

Seventeen-year-old Becky Collier is trying to earn some money to go to college next year so she takes a job as a nanny/mother's helper to a sweet one-year-old boy (Devon) on an isolated island called Sebastian. But she begins to find the situation odd... her employer Mrs. Nelson (Devon's mother) never wants Becky to go out or to be seen. (Mrs. Nelson is hiding Devon away because she thinks someone wants to do him harm and may kidnap him.) Becky is going crazy indoors. Mrs. Nelson goes out a lot to town on business, locks her bedroom door, and doesn't really seem comfortable with her son. Eventually Becky does get out and meets a boy called Cleve who says he has seen Mrs. Nelson sitting at a cafe in town by the dock... she watches to see who comes in on the ferry. But why can Mrs. Nelson go out and be seen but Becky can't? And who is Mrs. Nelson looking for?

This was an entertaining, fast and easy read. I liked Becky. She did her best to keep little Devon safe and handled herself well when she discovered the situation she was in. Becky wondered if she could trust Cleve, who she was starting to like. It was sort of obvious who the villain was, though. I also enjoyed the island setting. And the mystery.

A fun young-adult read from the 90's. ( )
  SandraLynne | Jun 26, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book but it could have been scarier. Has a twist. ( )
1 vote seldombites | Sep 24, 2007 |
There have been many good people in my life - people who made me want to try harder, do a better job, be a better human being. This book is dedicated to two of those people: Mark Shaw, teacher, and Greg Holch, editor.
Becky Collier listened for the baby as she rolled her shorts up and moved her towel farther into the sunshine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,503,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible