dismiss

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1971)

by Robert C. O'Brien

Series: The Rats of NIMH (1)

8,151141699 (4.19)1 / 194
Having no one to help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.

A widowed mouse seeks help from some surprisingly intelligent rats nearby to save her family's home from the springtime garden plow and learns their history and how her husband was connected with that past.
One of my favorite of the Newbery Medalist, and I'm so glad that Charlie loved it, too. ( )
  scaifea | Jul 5, 2020 |
Mrs. Frisby is a widowed mouse who is trying to find help for her son, Timothy, who is sick with pneumonia. She gets help from the rats of NIHM. They are happy to help her because her husband had helped them escape from NIHM. The themes of death, sacrifice and morality are covered in this book.
This owuld be a good book club book for 5th or 6th graders. ( )
  kjwatkins78 | May 15, 2020 |
Great story and good book to engage readers in the middle school grades for book club projects/groups. ( )
  CourtneyRay | Apr 21, 2020 |
Newbery Medal. Mrs. Frisby is the widow of Johnathan, who was a friend of the rats. They were enhanced creatures from DNA experiments. They move her house and her sick son is saved. Yhese rats and mice were able to read. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I know I originally read this book sometime back in middle-school and I vaguely recall the movie too (I feel like it has the same visual feel as The Hobbit from the 70s that I grew up with). It was a great re-read because I'd pretty much forgotten all but the general outline of the plot. I'm glad to find this one held up to the test of time and that my nostalgic love stands strong today.

This is a highly creative story about some very intelligent lab rats. And while there is some suspension of disbelief required, I feel like a lot of this story could be plausible. Maybe I'm an idiot haha. But I really enjoyed being in this world and decided to take everything at face value. I know there are other books in the series, but I'm not sure I'll read them, even though I'm curious about what happened before and after this book. I worry that they won't hold up well, or will somehow tarnish my enjoyment of this book. So I think I'll just leave well enough alone. But I definitely think I'll revisit this book again in the future. And if you're looking for some (somewhat) realistic fiction about talking animals, then I recommend this. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 29, 2019 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, ZenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazi, Edward S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine Fitzpatrick
Mrs. Frisby, the head of a family of field mice, lived in an underground house in the vegetable garden of a farmer named Mr. Fitzgibbon.
It was this, of course, that made our life so easy that it seemed pointless. We did not have enough work to do because a thief's life is always based on somebody else's work.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, also published as: The Secret of NIMH. Do not combine with the film The Secret of NIMH.

AR 5.1, Pts 8.0

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,857,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible