Change of Heart: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)…

Change of Heart: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Jodi Picoult (Author)

One moment June Nealon was happily looking forward to years full of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. Now her life is a waiting game. Waiting for time to heal her wounds, waiting for justice. In short, waiting for a miracle to happen. For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens that changes everything for him. Now, he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's eleven-year-old daughter, Claire. But between Shay and Claire stretches an ocean of bitter regrets, past crimes, and the rage of a mother who has lost her child.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:Val221
Title:Change of Heart: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)
Authors:Jodi Picoult (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (2008)

English (153)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  All languages (159)
This is another book of Jodi Picoult that makes the reader think about a controversial subject. This story deals with the several topics the death penalty, forgiveness, organ donation and redemption. I found this book a little more difficult to follow than other books by this author. I think the reason for this was the fact that their were so many characters narrating the different chapters. The story felt a little choppy/confusing at times. I recommend this book because Jodi's books always make the reader think about important issues and examine your own beliefs on the subjects. The topic of forgiveness for example this story makes you ask yourself questions like Would I be able to forgive? Do I have a limit on my forgiveness? should a person have a limit on forgiveness? Who does it harm when we refuse to forgive, ourselves ( emotionally ) or others? ( )
  Thelmajean | Sep 28, 2020 |
Wow! Loved this book. It would be a great book club pick as discussion topics are endless. I highly recommend it...one of her best. ( )
  LizBurkhart | Sep 5, 2019 |
Literally the best book she has ever written.
  Jasminexm | Aug 16, 2019 |
Jodi Picoult never runs away from difficult subjects and this time my own confusion reached new depth. My grandmother was Catholic. We never talked about religion but I wish we had. After her divorce, she never returned to the Church. But she went on a search for a religion instead. When she passed. I inherited a small library of religious texts including the Koran and A Book of the Lost Books of the Bible. That book concentrated on the books that were left out of the Old Testament.

I was surprised to learn there were more books called the Gnostic Gospels that not accepted for the New Testament. Quotes from them in this book left me even more confused than ever!

The main characters were Shay Bourne, June, Michael, Lucius and Maggie. The story is narrated through all of them except Shay Bourne, the accu sed murderer of June's second husband and her daughter. I identified most with Maggie, the ACLU attorney who was terrified of her weight and loved to read and argue. June had lost her daughter and second husband but found herself pregnant with her second daughter. Her second daughter desparately needed a heart transplant. Michael, the priest was tormented by a secret. Lucius was one of the miracles that Shay Bourne was credited by his fellow inmates.

But it was Maggie who I loved. For me, this book was difficult when it delved deep into the Gnostic Gospels but I had Maggie who cared a lot about people, had a poor self image but she made me comfortable in this book. ( )
  Carolee888 | Aug 16, 2019 |
Shay is hired as a handyman around June’s house. When she comes home one day to find her young daughter and her husband murdered, Shay is charged, found guilty, and is the first person to be put on death row in the state in decades. In prison, it is noticed that he seems to be able to “do” things, magical sorts of things. He would also like to make amends the only way he can think of and donate his heart to June’s other daughter, who is in need of a transplant. Lawyer Maggie comes in to try to help grant Shay his wish, while priest Michael (who has a secret of his own in regards to Shay), comes in to counsel Shay.

There is a lot going on in this book, primarily religion and the death penalty. The story is told from four different points of view: June, Michael, Maggie and another prisoner, Lucius. I’m not religious myself, but did find some of the religion “debates” interesting; these mostly focused on the Gnostic Gospels, which I’d heard of, but didn’t know anything about. The “magic” portions reminded me a bit of “The Green Mile”, and in fact, one of the prisoners at one point nicknamed Shay “Green Mile”, which I did think was kind of a fun way to address that (not that it needed to be addressed, but…). At the same time, these events made the book less realistic for me. I still quite enjoyed it, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 28, 2019 |

Poole, NicoleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Popken, HenkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said. "One can't believe impossible things."
"I dare say you haven't had as much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age I did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
With love, and too much admiration to fit on these pages

To my grandfather, Hal Friend, who has always been brave enough to question what we believe...
And to my grandmother, Bess Friend, who has never stopped believing in me.
In the beginning, I believed in second chances.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,403,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible