Robin Hood (1912)

by Henry Gilbert

Robin Hood is the best-loved outlaw of all time. In this edition, Henry Gilbert tells of the adventures of the Merry Men of Sherwood Forest - Robin himself, Little John, Friar Tuck, Will Scarlet, and Alan-a-Dale, as well as Maid Marian, good King Richard, and Robin's deadly enemies Guy of Gisborne and the evil Sheriff of Nottingham. AUTHOR: Henry Gilbert (1868-1937) was a journalist, who wrote a number of books for children based on historical figures, mainly legendary, the most popular of which is 'Robin Hood'.… (more)

'Once upon a time the great mass of English people were unfree,' begins the preface to the edition of this book that I read and reread as a girl, going on to speak of the appeal of figures such as Robin Hood to people toiling under oppressive feudal regimes. It is a testament to how deeply I loved it, and what an impact it had upon me - it sparked a life-long love of all things Robin Hood, and reinforced an interest in issues of social inequality that was already being inculcated in me by my parents' politics - that I have only to think of this book, and that first line floats into my mind.

However that may be, this version of Robin Hood will always be the definitive one for me, as it is the first one I can recall reading. It uses some rather self-consciously archaic language at times, particularly in the dialogue between the characters, but it's nothing a good child reader can't handle, and it's certainly no worse than the medievalism displayed in Howard Pyle's work. As some reviewers have noted, the conflicts are depicted in a whole-heartedly bloody way, but again, I found this no deterrent as a child, as it felt in keeping with the times in which the story was set. I don't know that this version is for everyone - I see a number of online reviewers disliked it - but I do recommend it. Those attempting to decide whether it's for them, might take a look at it online first, and decide whether they wish to proceed. ( )
2 vote AbigailAdams26 | Oct 7, 2015 |
A traditional story of Robin Hood. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that you don't know already. The stories are nice and well written and its a good read for any age. ( )
1 vote bkwormblogger | Sep 27, 2011 |
Robin Hood is a hero among the best-loved outlaws of all time. In this famous novel, Henry Gilbert portrays some life-like characters like Merry Men of Sherwood Forest, Robin himself, Little John, Friar Tuck, Will Scarlet, Alan-a-Dale, Maid Marian, the good King Richard and Robin's bitter enemies – Guy of Gisborne and the evil Sheriff of Nottingham.
  rajendran | Jul 23, 2006 |

Henry Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brundage, FrancesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crane, WalterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Preface: Once upon a time the great mass of English people were unfree.
It was high noon in summertime, and the forest seemed to sleep.

Robin Hood is the best-loved outlaw of all time. This edition tells of the adventures of the Merry Men of Sherwood Forest - Robin himself, Little John, Friar Tuck, Will Scarlet, and Alan-a-Dale, as well as Maid Marian, good King Richard, and Robin's deadly enemies Guy of Gisborne and the evil Sheriff of Nottingham.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,053,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible