Sideways Stories from Wayside School (1978)

by Louis Sachar

Series: Wayside School (1)

Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.
    The Classroom at the End of the Hall by Douglas Evans (infiniteletters)
    Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth by Andy Hueller (LAKobow)
    Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.

English (105)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
LFL
  Parlu | Jun 16, 2024 |
Sideways stories take place in a school that was a building structure issue that made each floor a classroom. The students and the staff that fill the school have unique character traits that face various challenges within the community and how these characters overcome the challenges in their unique way while still being true to themselves. This novel promotes the various challenges and student development growth and the impact of having a strong community. ( )
  cmj070 | Apr 22, 2024 |
I'm rereading this for the first time since elementary school, and I gotta say, I'm really blown away by the sheer absurdity of it. It reminds me of James Marshall's George and Martha stories: absurd, but lovely in that they never apologize for being absurd or wink at you from beneath the absurdity. It's just absurd all the way down, sincerely and deeply absurd. I imagine after you graduate from George and Martha, you move on to Wayside, and from there you're ready for Beckett and Camus. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
This was one of my favorite books as a kid - I actually loved all the Wayside books! I read this one aloud to my nieces (ages 6, 8, 10) and they enjoyed it, too. This is full of truly silly stories that are just fun!

A note for parents/teachers: The children do use a few put-downs like "dumb" and "stupid." ( )
  RachelRachelRachel | Nov 21, 2023 |
Fond memories reading this in elementary school. The short chapters, each being a self contained story, is a strength for younger readers. ( )
  Cephas730 | Jun 16, 2023 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brinckloe, JulieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Robert J. Sachar
and to my mother, Andy, and Jeff.
This book contains thirty stories about the children and teachers at Wayside School.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 209,022,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible