Sideways stories from Wayside School by…

Sideways stories from Wayside School (original 1978; edition 1978)

by Louis Sachar

Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Sideways stories from Wayside School
Authors:Louis Sachar
Info:New York, N.Y. : Avon Books, 1985, c1978.
Tags:Children's literature, Kids 9-12,

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (1978)

Recently added byDeidreH, private library, Sarah.Shank, lkbm, KellyHill, Slo02c, mrsk4, lcssu, SweeneyLibrary
    The Classroom at the End of the Hall by Douglas Evans (infiniteletters)
    Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth by Andy Hueller (LAKobow)
    Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.

English (80)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Listening to my son giggle as I read the wacky stories about Wayside School to him took me back to my childhood. I remember hiding under the covers with a flashlight at night well after my mom told me to get some sleep. After every assignment in class, I would sneak this book out of my little desk and try to get in another couple of pages before the teacher caught me. It was good to see that my son loved the same little kids that I had loved so many years before him. I recommend this book to any parent looking for a book to read to their child one or two chapters a night. I recommend it to the second/third grader that loves to laugh their little behind off. I think that it should be a fixture in every library and school book fair around the country. The stories are short yet full of quirks that the reader just can't help but smile about weeks after finishing the stories. This is a good imagination building book also. I used it to help my son come up with silly stories about his school, teachers, and friends. I even had him draw pictures for his stories and can see how an elementary school teacher could use the Wayside books to teach many different subjects. This was definitely worth the dig in the local library's large stack of old books! ( )
  Shannon.Allen | Aug 24, 2019 |
Wayside School was supposed to be 30 classrooms side-by-side but instead it was build sideways – 30 classrooms tall. This is a book of stories about the class on the 30th floor.

The whole “sideways school” thing never made much sense to me as a kid; I’ve always lived in an urban area and I never went to a school building that had less than 4 stories. A 1-story school would have been far more bizarre to me than a 30-story school. Other than that, this book really holds up! It’s a great intro to absurdism for kids. My particular favorite was the story about Sherrie, who sleeps all through class and the teacher lets her because she assumes Sherrie must be concentrating on learning so much that she falls asleep. Even a story which could have aged poorly, about a boy with a girl name and a girl with a boy name who decide to switch names, turned out to be well-handled. If you remember this book from childhood and have considered revisiting it, I highly recommend doing so! Or give it to your own kids with confidence. ( )
  norabelle414 | Aug 13, 2019 |
The first book in a hilarious trilogy about a 30-story school that was mistakenly built with one classroom on top of another. Wayside school has some of the craziest classes you will ever visit!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 25, 2018 |
These wacky absurd stories which may seem irreverent and sometimes mean-spirited to adults really seem to resonate with children. These stories were immediately attention grabbing for my kids and left them begging for more. The humor makes sense to the kids and they enjoyed the absolute absurdity and upside-down-ness of this school and it’s rules.

Wayside school was accidentally built 30 stories high and is leaning. Each chapter tells the reader about one student in the 30th story classroom. Their old teacher, Mrs. Gorf, used to turn the children into apples, but she got turned into an apple herself and now they have a new teacher, Mrs. Jewls. Mrs. Jewl whispers to one of the students that “children are really smarter than their teachers,” a fact that was already known to the students. One student can only read upside down and is told he must learn to stand on his head. Another student arranges to sell her “useless” toes to the yard teacher, however, when she is not getting the full price she originally bargained for, the deal is off. When the children laugh, the walls laugh with them and turn purple.

The author, Louis Sachar, has written himself into this book as the yard teacher whom the children see at recess. He features in nearly every chapter, and takes part in the absurdity of the Wayside School practices. This was a fun easy read that was very engaging for my children. The best part of the book, is that within each wacky weird story is a real nugget of truth, something both adults and kids can very much connect with.

For discussion questions, please see: http://www.book-chatter.com/?p=3057. ( )
  marieatbookchatter | Apr 20, 2018 |
I never read this one when I was little (I did read and like Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School), and maybe I would have liked this better if I did. It is very, very dated, and the chapter illustrations just killed it. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 25, 2018 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brinckloe, JulieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Robert J. Sachar
and to my mother, Andy, and Jeff.
This book contains thirty stories about the children and teachers at Wayside School.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,769,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible