Swan Song

by Robert R. McCammon

3,0661073,706 (4.12)2 / 138
In a wasteland born of rage and fear, populated by monstrous creatures and marauding armies, earth's last survivors have been drawn into the final battle between good and evil, that will decide the fate of humanity: Sister, who discovers a strange and transformative glass artifact in the destroyed Manhattan streets ... Joshua Hutchins, the pro wrestler who takes refuge from the nuclear fallout at a Nebraska gas station ... and Swan, a young girl possessing special powers, who travels along Josh to a Missouri town where healing and recovery can begin with Swan's gift. But the ancient force behind earth's devastation is scouring the walking wounded for recruits for its relentless army, beginning with Swan herself--Publisher's description.… (more)
Recently added bybooklove1, seele7711, private library, Gena678, Arena800
    The Stand by Stephen King (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another post apocalyptic horror novel that is often compared to this one.
    The Reapers Are the Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Another post-apocalyptic book with fantasy elements woven in.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (infiniteletters, Scottneumann, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic tale of survival with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Phantasma)

English (104)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (106)
I slogged through about a third of this book and could never completely get over the idea that it was The Stand, by Robert McCammon. Bad mystical guy: check; really bad people: check; journey across America: check; nice people caught up in a quest they don’t fully understand: check; good wins over evil: I’ll never know. I kept waiting on something unique to occur, but nope. If I’d never read the original, I’d probably eat this up…gotta let it go. ( )
  mikernc | Jul 29, 2022 |
A good novel that would have been a great novel if Stephen King hadn't already written it a decade earlier. Loses one star for unoriginality. Better ending than The Stand so it gains a star for that. Mega-thermonuclear disaster not realistically portrayed (McCammon should have talked to Clancy) as far as effects and survivability. A bit dated as well due to Cold War thaw. All of this took away that star that would have made it five.

I'm not sure why a writer as good as McCammon chose to fugue off a theme that King practically owned after The Stand. Everyone has tried to beat it and most fail. I'm just not sure what he thought he could bring to it. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
4.5 stars. Great character development, fantastic story. Really long, just over 900 pages. Very realistic end-of-the-world apocalypse story, that shows how it all begins with nuclear war and then its aftermath = speculative fiction. Scary and sad, real and fantastical, good vs. evil, hope vs. despair. The characters are ones I will be talking about in the future, as I feel like we went through this together and I totally believed in them. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction. Published in the mid-eighties, this really captures the hysteria regarding fears of a World War 3 nuclear holocaust. But it isn't just straight up dystopia--there's magic too. And evil. Very melodramatic, but in a good way: the villains are really, really awful and the heroes are lovely. The comparisons to The Stand are valid, but I liked this better than The Stand. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
This is a massive post-apocalyptic fantasy that is both disturbing and uplifting. Full of well-etched characters and relentlessly narrated, this novel kept me in its grip the whole of its length of 900-odd pages. For the most part, the story is bleak, with the privations suffered by the characters described in gory detail. The author has blended the element of supernatural with the ordinary so well that it does not stick out.
I liked this book a lot and will remember many of the characters for a long time. ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |

Robert R. McCammonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sally, whose inside face is as beautiful as the one outside. We survived the comet!
Once upon a time we had a love affair with fire, the president of the United States thought as the match that he'd just struck to light his pipe flared beneath his fingers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,767,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible