Taken At the Flood by Agatha Christie

Taken At the Flood (original 1948; edition 1961)

by Agatha Christie

A man returns from the dead, and the body of a mysterious stranger is found in his room... A few weeks after marrying an attractive young widow, Gordon Cloade is tragically killed by a bomb blast in the London blitz. Overnight, the former Mrs Underhay finds herself in sole possession of the Cloade family fortune. Shortly afterwards, Hercule Poirot receives a visit from the dead man's sister-in-law who claims she has been warned by 'spirits' that Mrs Underhay's first husband is still alive. Poirot has his suspicions when he is asked to find a missing person guided only by the spirit world. Yet what mystifies Poirot most is the woman's true motive for approaching him...… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:Taken At the Flood
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Collins (1961), Unknown Binding
Tags:crime

Taken at the Flood by Agatha Christie (Author) (1948)

English (28)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (34)
In which a young trophy wife finds herself left with a fortune – and a family who may be out for blood.

A thoroughly average Christie, but a step up from the worst. There’s nothing to make "Taken at the Flood" stand out, but finally, there’s nothing terrible either. Like many of the best Christie novels, we’re very clearly in 1944, giving us a good sense of where both Poirot and the world are situated.

The murder itself is quite contrived (even the usually reliable David Suchet TV series couldn’t do much with this one), but the characters are varied and relatively strong, making this a decent, if not absorbing, read.

Incidentally, several novels had their titles changed when first published in America. (So far, I’ve never heard very good reasons.) This is – I think – the only title substitution which doesn’t completely suck. "Taken at the Flood" was changed to another quote from the same Shakespeare speech (from Julius Caesar): "There Is A Tide".

Poirot ranking: 31st out of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
The copy I had was called There is a Tide. So sometime, the title was changed. It begins with the visit of a distraught woman to Hercule Poirot's office. she informs the detective that a voice from the spirit world told her that a dead man is alive, a wealthy heiress is a fraud and that he should be pressed into service to provide the proof.
  taurus27 | Nov 16, 2019 |
In my house a road trip is synonymous with Agatha Christie and a classic Hercule Poirot novel read by Hugh Fraser. My husband and I listened to Taken at The Flood during our one week trip around the southeast. We had actually tried to listen to this book in December as part of our bowl game excursion, but it just didn’t catch our attention. So we tried again to much greater success. In fact, this twisting mystery took both of us by surprise! Recommended.

Hercule Poirot makes a brief appearance in the beginning of Taken at The Flood, but does not play a major role in the story until way past the halfway point. Christie uses the majority of the book to set up the backstory of the Cloade family — their relationships, personalities, and varied motives. I actually liked this quite a bit. My husband was, however, impatient for the mystery-solving to begin. The mystery takes quite a few turns, and more than one dead person shows up. The ending is tied up in classic Poirot style, and we were pleasantly surprised. We did not see it coming!

If you are a fan of classic mysteries, I recommend Taken at The Flood. Just be patient for the amazing Poirot’s appearance.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(I purchased the audiobook from Audible. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Mar 4, 2019 |

Poirot ranking: 31st out of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I was not fond of this particular story. i don't know why, but I never seemed to care about any of the characters. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |

Soncelli, GiovannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teason, WilliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vieira, Cora RónaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waring, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
In every club there is a club bore.
aka There Is a Tide

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible