Der Malteser Falke by Dashiell Hammett

Der Malteser Falke (original 1930; edition 2006)

by Dashiell Hammett

6,777202545 (3.91)558
Member:towo
Title:Der Malteser Falke
Authors:Dashiell Hammett
Info:Süddeutsche Zeitung / Bibliothek (2006), Edition: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:German, SZ-Krimibibliothek, advertisement present, fiction

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (Author) (1930)

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler (InvisiblerMan)
    The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (Cecilturtle, TAir)
    Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (caflores)
    Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan (BookGirlVL)
    BookGirlVL: A recent addition to the hardboiled US scene. The protagonist befriends the publisher of a mystery magazine called Grey Streets, which prints hardboiled short stories.
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two detectives have a key trait in common: dogged pursuit of the truth and the truth has many twists along the way.
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (InvisiblerMan)
    Maltese Falcon [Picador Film Classics Library] by Richard J. Anobile (bks1953)
    Spade & Archer by Joe Gores (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Later prequel by another author
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (benmartin79)
    Britten and Brülightly by Hannah Berry (lucien)
    lucien: A great modern take on the noir genre in comic form. Berry is successful at both weaving a solid noir tale and having some good fun with genre conventions.
    Private Midnight by Kris Saknussemm (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Dark detective fiction, both radical for their times.

English (190)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (200)
The Maltese Falcon is probably one of those quintessential mystery/detective novels. I found the writing to be rather spare, and a touch misogynistic. This is definitely a "boys book" in that at the time it was written the target audience was most likely men, and men of a certain temperament as well.

I enjoyed reading this as an example of the genre and as a period piece, but I don't know that I am likely to reread it any time soon. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Squee!!! I will re-read this one, possibly soon. So. Damn. Good. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I read this hard-boiled detective because of its importance to the genre, but I'm not really a fan. Although I occasionally enjoy suspense and everything that comes with it, I prefer cerebrial detective-work. ( )
  MGovers | Mar 15, 2018 |
I'm rather conflicted about this book. On the one hand, it kind of gave birth to a new genre, and the film with Humphrey Bogart is legendary. But on the other - the action almost entirely happens off-screen, leaving the reader to imagine what is going on; and the writing is almost comically sexist and homophobic. Is this still a book we want to be celebrating in 2017? Can we forgive the time in which it was written? It's hard to be sure. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Dec 14, 2017 |
The hardboiled P.I. model

Sam Spade may have been predated by Hammett's "The Continental Op" but the anonymous nature of the Op agent doesn't leave the same firm picture in your mind that Sam Spade does. That image is also indelibly linked to the iconic Humphrey Bogart in the onscreen role.

There are so many later stereotypes fixed in place by this one novel that to look back on it now can make you think it is a parody of the style rather than the original boilerplate. I've read it several times now and this late revisit was due to an opportunity presented by the Audible Daily Deal. The reading by Eric Meyer was excellent, especially for the boss-man role of Casper Gutman, the sidekick Mr. Cairo and the gunsel Wilmer Cook. ( )
  alanteder | Sep 29, 2017 |

Hammett, DashiellAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Angell, OlavTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meier, RaymondCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jose
Samuel Spade's jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting v under the more flexible v of his mouth.
The boy spoke two words, the first a short guttural verb, the second 'you'.
"People lose teeth talking like that." Spade's voice was still amiable though his face had become wooden. "If you want to hang around you'll be polite."
The boy repeated his two words.
Spade by means of his grip on the Levantine's lapels turned him slowly and pushed him back until he was standing close in front of the chair he had lately occupied. A puzzled look replaced the look of pain in the lead-colored face. Then Spade smiled. The smile was gentle, even dreamy. His right shoulder raised a few inches. His bent right arm was driven up by the shoulder's lift. Fist, wrist, forearm, crooked elbow, and upper arm seemed all one rigid piece, with only the limber shoulder giving them motion. The fist struck Cairo's face...
"I don't know where that damned bird is. You don't. She does. How in hell are we going to get it if I don't play along with her?"
Cairo hesitated, said dubiously: "You have always, I must say, a smooth explanation ready."
Spade scowled. "What do you want me to do? Learn to stutter?"

Yes, I'm guilty, but
I'll get free with female wiles.
Whoops, need a Plan B.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679722645, Paperback)

Sam Spade, Dashiell Hammett's archetypally tough San Francisco detective, is more noir than L.A. Confidential and more vulnerable than Raymond Chandler's Marlowe. In The Maltese Falcon, the best known of Hammett's Sam Spade novels (including The Dain Curse and The Glass Key), Spade is tough enough to bluff the toughest thugs and hold off the police, risking his reputation when a beautiful woman begs for his help, while knowing that betrayal may deal him a new hand in the next moment.

Spade's partner is murdered on a stakeout; the cops blame him for the killing; a beautiful redhead with a heartbreaking story appears and disappears; grotesque villains demand a payoff he can't provide; and everyone wants a fabulously valuable gold statuette of a falcon, created as tribute for the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. Who has it? And what will it take to get it back? Spade's solution is as complicated as the motives of the seekers assembled in his hotel room, but the truth can be a cold comfort indeed.

Spade is bigger (and blonder) in the book than in the movie, and his Mephistophelean countenance is by turns seductive and volcanic. Sam knows how to fight, whom to call, how to rifle drawers and secrets without leaving a trace, and just the right way to call a woman "Angel" and convince her that she is. He is the quintessence of intelligent cool, with a wise guy's perfect pitch. If you only know the movie, read the book. If you're riveted by Chinatown or wonder where Robert B. Parker's Spenser gets his comebacks, read the master. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A murder involves Sam Spade in a dangerous search for a valuable statue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible