Fray by Joss Whedon
Hundreds of years in the future, Manhattan has become a deadly slum, run by mutant crime-lords and disinterested cops. Stuck in the middle is a young girl who thought she had no future, but learns she has a great destiny. In a world so poisoned that it doesn't notice the monsters on its streets, how can a street kid like Fray unite a fallen city against a demonic plot to consume mankind? Joss Whedon, the celebrated creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, brings his vision to the future in this unique tale. As inventive in the comics medium as in that of television of film, Whedon spins a complex tale of a skilled thief coming of age without the help of friends or family, guided only by a demonic Watcher.… (more)
Member:dennymeta
Title:Fray
Authors:Joss Whedon
Info:Titan (2003), Paperback, 216 pages

Fray by Joss Whedon

Stopped by the library and this one was waiting for me. A buffy-holic in common co-worker told me about its existence. After dinner I crawled into bed with some Greek yogurt and maple syrup and this lovely graphic novel - shiny is so much better. The story was good and had me wanting to know more about Fray's world. 200 years into the future with some humans mutated enough so that no one really notices when the demons start coming back and that the Watchers have gone crazy. It's dark, violent and colorful. A satisfying hour of sweets. (March 31, 2004) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I thought that Maybe comic books—sorry, graphic novels—weren’t for me after that V for Vendetta thing happened *facepalm* but let’s be serious: if it has Joss Whedon’s name on it, I’ll do it. This had his name on it, so I checked it out from the library, read it… loved it!
The artwork was AH-MAZ-ING. One of the thing’s I didn’t like about V for Vendetta was the artwork. It was so… I don’t wanna say shoddy, but I didn’t like it. On the other hand, the artwork in Fray was bright, clear, I could tell what was going on, at no point was I confused because the artwork wasn’t matching the dialogue or anything…
Speaking of clarity, that’s another thing I didn’t like about V for Vendetta. I still don’t know what was going on with the plot. Fray, though… well, it might just be because I’m pretty familiar with the Buffyverse, but the plot was MUCH easier to follow.
AND. THE. CHARACTERS. You should have HEARD me while I was reading this! All the characters were so good… Urkonn was probably my favorite, and Loo was so lovable, and you could really relate to Mel and Erin and, just wow. Joss Whedon is a god, and I willingly worship him.
(*note: I did know about the big plot twist concerning Urkonn at the end because I’d spoiled myself on Wikipedia. Still loved him though)
Want to know why? Here’s a quote that I really like:
Mel: But he set himself on FIRE!
Urkonn: Maybe he was cold.
Which, coincidently, brings me to my next point: When I think about comic books, I think comics. And comics are supposed to make you laugh. I didn’t laugh AT ALL while reading V for Vendetta (I was to busy being confused) but Fray? I was laughing every ten minutes. It had the funny, witty dialogue that’s Joss Whedon’s trademark, but also making with the serious…
Man. Joss Whedon.
But then… we come to the end. And I say:
“Wait. That can’t be it. There has to be more, there has to be a sequel or something. I’m still waiting for you to explain that weird and slightly disturbing thing that happened with Harth and Mel!”
So… get cracking on a sequel, Joss Whedon.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I liked this comic a lot. It was a very interesting take on a futuristic slayer. I can't wait to see how it ties into the Buffy comics! ( )
  vanisheDsaRah | Apr 10, 2018 |
This dystopian sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel is one of the finest works of Joss Whedon, and can easily hold its own against his more famous accomplishments on TV and film. It is possibly my wife's favourite graphic novel of all time (though I suspect Jeff Smith's "Bone" gives it competition for the top spot), and is certainly on my own top 10. While technically set in the far-flung future of his Buffy the Vampire Slayer world, it doesn't require any knowledge or familiarity with that to read this. And the art by Karl Moline is gorgeous, clear and memorable -- everything I want in the graphic part of a graphic novel. ( )
  LokiAesir | Mar 7, 2018 |
Written by Joss Whedon, this graphic novel portrays a slayer centuries after Buffy did her thing. Fray is a troubled young woman who works as a runner (think cat thief) and likes to get into fights. She is approached by a hideous monster named Urkonn who tells her that she is descended from a long line of slayers and he will train her since monsters will be invading this dimension soon. Fighting ensues.

The story and graphics are fabulous. I love this futuristic slayer and that the same old battle to save humanity continues. ( )
  mamzel | Nov 17, 2015 |
“She is discovered.”

In a future with no magic or demons, Melaka Fray is the first slayer to be called in centuries. Hindered by the loss of her heritage, she must defend an unbelieving populace against the rise of vampires.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,761,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible