The Saturdays (Melendy Quartet) (Melendy…

The Saturdays (Melendy Quartet) (Melendy Quartet, 1) (original 1941; edition 2008)

by Elizabeth Enright (Author)

Series: Melendy Quartet (1)

Four New York City siblings decide to pool their resources so that each can do a special thing on the Saturday that is his turn to receive the combined allowance.
Member:KimMehl
Title:The Saturdays (Melendy Quartet) (Melendy Quartet, 1)
Authors:Elizabeth Enright (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2008), Edition: Third, 192 pages

Work Information

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (1941)

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall (cransell)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (cransell)
    Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown by Maud Hart Lovelace (buddingnaturalist)
    buddingnaturalist: Both books involve the adventures of kids as they further explore their home towns, with 12-year-old Betsy and her friends in 1900s Minnesota and the Melendy family, ages 6-13, in pre-WWII New York City.

Absolutely charming walk down memory lane! Will probably finish the series eventually. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
How did I miss reading this lovely book series as a kid?? I was a voracious reader....and I loved books like this! But....some things are best saved for a later day? Maybe? I'm 51...and just now discovering these delightful books! I did not discover the joy that Enright's writing can bring until I came across Gone-Away Lake and Return to Gone-Away, totally by accident. I read those two books first (loved them!)...and then moved on to this series.

OMG...I had such fun reading this story! It is a bit dated (first published in 1941), but it didn't put a damper on my enjoyment of the story one bit. There are four children in the Melendy family -- Mona, Rush, Miranda, and 6-year old Oliver. They live with their father and a housekeeper, Cuffy. Cuffy is a beloved member of the family, stepping in as a substitute mom of sorts for the throng after the death of their mother. Father writes for a living, and offers up common sense wisdom when needed. He also complains about coal furnaces, the price of everything, and the woes of home repair, as all dads do. Mona wants to be an actress. Rush likes to joke around and loves the theater, especially opera. Miranda is a free spirit and just wants to be herself. And Oliver.....he's just a bit tired of being too little to do things like his siblings do. The kids are bored. Saturdays should be a day where they get to go out and do things...but money is a bit of a crunch. So, they decide to form a club and pool their money. Every Saturday one of them will get to go out and do something fun...whatever they choose. It's the 1940s....a kid can do a lot with $1.60! Each section of this book is a different Saturday....and a new adventure for each kid in the Melendy family and some shared excitement. Even some danger!

I listened to the audio book version of this story. Narrated by Pamela Dillman, the audio is just over 4 hours long. Dillman gives a great performance. And the story is just enchantingly fun! Every Saturday is an adventure! Fun is had -- lessons are learned -- life is lived. :)

When the book finished, I found myself wondering what I would have chosen to do on MY Saturday, if I had been a Melendy. At 12, I probably would have chosen a day at the zoo where I could wander at will and look at my favorite animals as long as I wanted to. Then a trip to a nearby bookstore, where I could browse the shelves and buy one book I really wanted....then sit outside in the sunshine for awhile and read. Then back home. :) That would have been the perfect day for me at 12. And, you know.....I think it would be a perfect day for me at 51, too!! :)

Moving on to the next book -- The Four-Story Mistake. There are four books in the series. And luckily my library has them all on audio! ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Such a cute little story about the Saturday adventures of the Melendy children. Made extra charming because of the huge differences to raising children in the 1940's as opposed to today. ( )
  Iudita | Aug 31, 2020 |
I return again and again to this book for its sweetness and sense of quiet adventure. ( )
  PatsyMurray | Aug 11, 2020 |
How did I get to be an adult and not know about this series of books? The Melendys have made my lunch hour this week. I miss them already! ( )
  KABarnes | Jun 30, 2020 |

Vos-Heijermans, M. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weberman, AliceProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

"It would have to rain today," said Rush, lying flat on his back in front of the fire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,079,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible