The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew,…

The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, Book 9) (original 1933; edition 1968)

by Carolyn Keene (Author)

Series: Nancy Drew (9)

While solving the mystery of an old man's disappearing fortune, Nancy ends a family feud and reveals the identity of an orphan of unknown parentage.
Member:tylerandemilea
Title:The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, Book 9)
Authors:Carolyn Keene (Author)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1959), Edition: Revised, 192 pages

The Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn Keene (1933)

A satisfying mystery about an old inn, a family feud, and a forlorn orphan. Nancy gets into and out of all kinds of thrilling scrapes. Just the kind of fun, escapist reading I need right now. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Seeking shelter during a terrible storm, teen sleuth Nancy Drew and her friends Bess Marvin and George Fayne find themselves at the Sign of the Twisted Candles, a Civil War-era mansion turned into a restaurant and hotel. Here they encounter Sadie Wipple, the much-put-upon adopted daughter of the couple running the restaurant, and Mr. Asa Sidney, the elderly man who owns the mansion, and who is turning one hundred on the day they arrive. Celebrating with Mr. Sidney, the friends little realize that his sad life - the death of his young daughter many years befoore, the break-up of his family, and the beginning of a multi-generation family feud - will effect them as well. As Nancy and her father get involved in Mr. Sidney and Sadie's affairs, Bess and George, who turn out to be involved in the family feud, turn their back on Nancy. When Sadie is named Mr. Sidney's heir, things become even more complicated, and Nancy must step in to protect the timid young girl...

Originally published in 1933, The Sign of the Twisted Candles is the ninth entry in the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories series, and the second, after Nancy's Mysterious Letter, to be ghost-written by Walter Karig, rather than Mildred Benson, who wrote most of the first twenty-five books in the series. Like all of the early Nancy Drew books, there are two versions of the story: the original one, and the revised and condensed one created in the late 1960s. I read the Applewood Books edition from 1996, which contains a facsimile reproduction of the original 1933 text. This was an enjoyable entry in the series, with plenty of atmosphere, thanks to the gloomy old mansion, and lots of excitement, as Nancy engages in everything from a road race with the dastardly Mr. Semmit, to a confrontation in which she is drugged and left behind, when Sadie is kidnapped. This also had a little bit more of an emotional pull than these books usually do for me, due to the rift between Nancy and her friends. Recommended to young mystery lovers, and to fans of Nancy Drew and her daring adventures. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Sep 27, 2020 |
Nancy, Bess and George are stuck in a thunderstorm on their way home in Nancy's roadster. Two trees are struck by lightning before their eyes, which, wow. The conditions are so bad they seek shelter at a house advertising meals "at the sign of the twisted candles".

While freshening up before tea, the girls overhear the innkeeper scolding a waitress for bringing up a fine meal to the old man upstairs when a plate of mush would do as well. Nancy questions the girl and finds the waitress, an orphan taken in by the innkeeper and his wife, to be too finely bred to be doing heavy labor. There's a mystery afoot!

There's also the 100 year old man, Asa Sidney, working away in his tower room making candles and talking about his tragic past. Nancy and her friends insist on joining him for a birthday party with the young girl, Sadie. A fun time is had and Nancy asks that if Sadie or Asa need a good lawyer, to call on her father. It turns out, he does. The next day Nancy's father is called by Asa to draw up a new will. Asa Sidney made a lot of money with his inventions and, having no children, has many relatives who may have an interest in his property.

A low point for me was the revelation that the man was a near-distant relation to George and Bess and those two worthy girls are manipulated by their families to cut off Nancy Drew because of her interference with the will! I seriously thought it was just going to be a ruse, but it was an actual thing that happened and us readers are expected to believe. That element was even kept for the revision in the 1960s.

Doing a little digging about these novels I'm upset to find that there were 3-4 illustrations in addition to cover art originally attached to these books, but subsequent editions eliminated them to a single frontispiece, redrawn in a mid-century style. I have some earlier editions, but none of mine have any of this extra art. If you have time, search for the frontispiece for this one featuring a man about to push Nancy off a high ladder from a window! It's amazing.

Bess and George's defection aside, this book was exciting because of the extra depth provided to the secondary and tertiary characters - the friend of her father's brought in to witness Asa's will was so eager to be a part of a mystery it was great - and the extra lengths Nancy had to go to to solve the case. Highly recommended.

I've reached another gap in my Nancy shelf, so it may be some time before I continue.

Nancy Drew

Next: 'The Password to Larkspur Lane'

Previous: 'Nancy's Mysterious Letter' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Jul 31, 2019 |
I still don't like Bess. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Jan 10, 2019 |
*Duplicate Copy* I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hart, Carolyn G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Oh, Nancy, this is like a hurricane! We'll be blown off the road!” cried Bess Marvin. (1968 revision)
“Oh Nancy! I’m afraid to go any farther, and I’m afraid not to. Won’t you speed the car up?” (1933 edition)

Another exciting mystery begins for the attractive young detective when her friends Bess and George ask her to investigate a rumor that their wealthy great-granduncle, Asa Sydney, is virtually a prisoner in his own mansion. But solving the mystery and befriending Carol Wipple, the sixteen-year-old foster daughter of the caretakers of the old mansion, nearly costs Nancy the friendship of Bess and George. It takes all of Nancy's sleuthing ability as well as diplomacy to save it.
At the same time, Nancy braves one danger after another to bring to justice the swindlers who are stealing Asa Sydney's fortune. With only the sign of the twisted candles to guide her, Nancy uncovers hidden treasure and an amazing letter that ends a family feud and brings unexpected happiness to Carol.

Original & revised versions at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,050,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible