dismiss

A Frozen Woman by Annie Ernaux

A Frozen Woman (edition 1995)

by Annie Ernaux

A Frozen Woman charts Ernaux's teenage awakening, and then the parallel progression of her desire to be desirable and her ambition to fulfil herself in her chosen profession - with the inevitable conflict between the two. And then she is thirty years old, a teacher married to an executive, mother of two infant sons. She looks after their nice apartment, raises her children. And yet, like millions of other women, she has felt her enthusiasm and curiosity, her strength and her happiness, slowly ebb under the weight of her daily routine. The very condition that everyone around her seems to consider normal and admirable for a woman is killing her. While each of Ernaux's books contain an autobiographical element, A Frozen Woman, one of Ernaux's early works, concentrates the spotlight piercingly on Annie herself. Mixing affection, rage and bitterness, A Frozen Woman shows us Ernaux's developing art when she still relied on traditional narrative, before the shortened form emerged that has si… (more)
Member:sawtooth
Title:A Frozen Woman
Authors:Annie Ernaux
Info:Seven Stories Pr (1995), Hardcover

A Frozen Woman by Annie Ernaux

Rarely does Ernaux repeat herself, and always she has something important to say. Her positions, and stories, may not always be the most popular, but she makes perfect sense to me. She is, in my opinion, one hell of a woman. And a very good writer as well.

After having a couple days to think more about what I read, it is obvious to me that Annie was pretty angry at herself for falling into this man-family-homemaker trap that she never ever truly wanted for herself. But she is not a man hater. She is bitingly real about the stupid stereotypes women inflict on themselves, and mother-in-laws, for example, who promote their submissive motherly, female behavior. But Annie never gets in your face about things she finds disgusting. But she is sarcastic, funny, and clear about what she finds repulsive in herself and those she is supposed to love. ( )
  MSarki | Jan 23, 2016 |

1 vote MSarki | Jan 23, 2016 |

Annie Ernauxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coverdale, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,072,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible