Houghton Mifflin Reading: The Nation's…

Houghton Mifflin Reading: The Nation's Choice: Theme Paperbacks, On-Level… (edition 2000)

by Houghton Mifflin (Author)

Fourteen-year-old Lincoln Mendoza, an aspiring basketball player, must come to terms with his divided loyalties when he moves from the Hispanic inner city to a white suburban neighborhood.
Member:artscibal
Title:Houghton Mifflin Reading: The Nation's Choice: Theme Paperbacks, On-Level Grade 6 Theme 3 - Taking Sides
Authors:Houghton Mifflin (Author)
Info:HOUGHTON MIFFLIN (2000), 144 pages

Work Information

Taking Sides by Gary Soto

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Taking Sides By Gary Soto
Very Interesting
I thought that this book was going to be good because of the front cover, Lincoln was playing basketball, and I was right. Lincoln Mendoza had just moved to a suburbs from the big city. Most things weren’t the same, but there was one thing that bothered him the most, he was not white. His father had divorced with his mom, so they decided to move to somewhere else. Lincoln had to leave his friends from the city with not much money to a place where there was a lot of money. Lincoln loved to play basketball and was on the Franklin High school team until he moved. Now he was at Columbus High school. There was a lot of controversy about the race Lincoln was compared to the other kids. This controversy grew a lot when it was almost time to face his old team. Lincoln didn’t like his new team, they were way too cocky. He started to wonder if he could still play on his old team. The week before the game Lincoln hurt his knee pretty badly. Finally, it was the day of the game and he was still hurt with a question he had not yet decided, what team he would play with. ( )
  obar5680 | Dec 15, 2015 |
This is a book that I think most students can relate to. It tells of a young basketball star who moved from a poor area in California to a new area that is richer. In this new area, he has to start all over and make new friends. At his new school he joins the basketball team and has a coach that is very hard on him and does not like him much. Not only is he having this problem with the team, his "love life" is not good either. The end of the book is nice inspite of all the bad things Lincoln faces.
  DBPeeples | Mar 9, 2010 |
I read "Taking Sides" by Gary Soto in seventh grade and now that I'm in ninth grade. This book catches my attention because I'm into sports not exactly basketball but any other sport. This is the only book I've read by Gary Soto so far and I like it so I'm looking forward to read another one of his books. I like the way Gary Soto organizes his books. I like the fact that he uses another language in some parts. The main character is Lincoln. I like his personality because he doesn't only think about himself but about everyone around him. Hes the type that would put his family before anything and I'm like that, I'll do anything for my family so I can kind of relate to him. The book is about Lincoln moving houses because they broke into his house so he moved and now he goes to a different school. He was in the basketball team for his old school and now that he moved he plays for his new school. So then the schools play against each other and he doesn't know what to do. This book is really interesting and I like it because I can kind of relate to it. So if anything I would myself reading again and anyone else should read it too. ( )
  steff_22 | Dec 10, 2009 |
"Tony," Lincoln Mendoza whispered into the telephone. "It's your buddy, Linc." "Linc? My homeboy moved to the good side of town," Tony Contreras answered sleepily.

this book is about a young boy who lives in the barrio. He is in the schools basketball team and has his best friend in it to. but then one day he has to move from his school. His mom and him move to the rich side of town. Then he moves to a new school (rich school). He joins the basketball team there and starts playing there.The day comes that he has to face his old school. He doesnt want to play his old schools team it makes him feel bad, he doesnt want to face his best friend but he must do it. He starts playing but he doesnt try. Then his best friend tells him to try. He starts playing good and then his team wins.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible