Animal Man, Vol. 2: Origin of the Species by…

Animal Man, Vol. 2: Origin of the Species

by Grant Morrison (Writer), Chas Truog (Illustrator)

Other authors: Tom Grummett (Illustrator), Doug Hazlewood (Inker), Mark McKenna (Illustrator), Steve Montano (Illustrator)

Series: Animal Man (Vol. 1 2), Vertigo, Animal Man, Volume 1 (TPB 2: #10-17), Animal Man [1988] (10-17, Secret Origins 39)

Written by Grant Morrison; Art by Chas Truog, Tom Grummett, Doug Hazlewood, Steve Montano, and Mark McKenna; Cover by Brian Bolland The second collection of Grant Morrison's groundbreaking run on ANIMAL MAN reprints issues #10-17, plus the 19-page story from SECRET ORIGINS #39, this volume shows Animal Man moving more and more deeply into the cause of animal rights. But something else is going on beyond his burgeoning radicalism. Strange visions of aliens, people disappearing into strange pencil-like drawings, and hints of a terrible Crisis lurk around the edges of reality. For more information, see the feature article.… (more)

English (4)  Swedish (1)  All languages (5)
  nerdythor | May 30, 2017 |
Starting to get darker and a little more intriguing. I really like the way that Grant Morrison sort of, kind of breaks the fourth wall but at the same time keeps it within the confines of the story and its own characters. It's really strange, as per typical Grant Morrison writing, but it is highly enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed the Dolphin issue, because it reminded me so much of the documentary The Cove. Basically, Morrison was onto certain social and moral issues in the 90's that weren't even highlighted until almost 10 years into the following century, and he did it using a comic book character that uses the strengths of animals around him for power. How about that, importance of comic books? I'm starting to understand the significance of Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, as well as seeing why it is held as one of the legendary runs by comic authors. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is where the story really starts to take off, exposing that Morrison's ambitions lie far beyond using the standard set of cliched superhero tropes to promote a boring environmental morality play. Animal Man will make you wish DC had been more ambitious in their attempts to resolve the problems presented by the idea of the multiverse. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
I'm torn. The "oh my god, I'm a comic book character in a comic" frequently seems to rub me the wrong way. Didn't like this as much as the first book, but it does have moments that are really good...(the clockmaster, for example). It seems to be building up though to something.
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |

McKenna, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montano, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenEditor (10-17)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bolland, BrianCoverssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, ArtAssistant Editor (10-14), Associate Editor (15-17)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,761,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible