Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 04: Unstoppable by…

Really Joss? This is your big finale? Maybe I'll do Script Frenzy this year, just to show than I can write a better graphic novel story arc. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
This has been an exceptional collection!
I'm not as up on the X-Men as many, but I know some, and now I know more, and love it!
There's unresolved stuff (of course) but it is not as cliff-hanger-y as I
expected.
Cool stuff happened to favorite characters. Crap happens too (these stories
are just pretty/active soap operas, after all), and *everyone* is there at the end!
No spoilers, though, so just go pick it up & read it yourself.
(I may go back & re-read it...) ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
In the previous comic, Ord managed to escape with the help of the robot DANGER who both still seeks to destroy the X-Men. The X-Men are still recovering from Emma Frost's mental manipulations while she was under the influence of Cassandra Nova. Cyclops doesn't have his powers and Kitty is emotionally traumatized. Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D. [Sentient Worlds Observation and Response Department] has her precogs working on the Breakworld situation and they discover who the mutant is who supposedly destroys Breakworld according to Breakworld's oracles and its Colossus. Brand kidnaps the X-Men as well as the now captured Ord and DANGER and is heading toward Breakworld.

There's a group on Breakworld led by Aghanne who tends to the sick and wounded of her planet and believes the end times are coming but only because of those who rule it, not because of some prophecy. Meanwhile, Powerlord Kruun is hunting down Colossus to keep him from fulfilling the prophecy.

Brand is not afraid of Kruun exactly. She's more afraid of the missile on one of Breakworld's moons that is aimed at the Earth. So, the X-Men head toward the moon to try to defuse the missile while on Earth superheroes do what they can to help, just in case and Colossus keeps Kruun busy by distracting him by pretending to carry out the prophecy.

This book explodes with action and is a fitting end to this four-part series. The plot twists and turns on a dime. Not everyone makes it through this, sadly. The art is vivid and sometimes haunting and the colors leap from the page. I have thoroughly enjoyed these books and this one was the icing on the cake. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jan 19, 2018 |
This is the final chapter in the Whedon-authored Astonishing arc. And there are some fantastic pay-offs here. There's also one hell of a cliff-hanger. The plot has near-endless twists and turns. Explorations of the consequences of prophecies. The question: could there be intelligent species that don't deserve to exist?

I don't know how to get into the plot any more without being incredibly spoilerific. But the very very basics are that the X-Men go to war against an alien species who are set to destroy Earth because of a prophecy that an X-Man will destroy their planet.

I loved it. I sense more X-Men in my future, Whedon or no. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
I love what Whedon has done with the X-Men in this series. This volume is full of twists and turns -- it's never predictable what happens next. ( )
  lavaturtle | Mar 8, 2015 |

Whedon, JossAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Strap yourselves in, folks! It's Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's final arc on Astonishing X-Men! After the shocking and brain-smashing events of recent issues, the X-Men are off to protect the Earth from its destruction at the hands of the Breakworld. And when it's all over, nothing will ever be the same! No, really, we mean it! Whedon and Cassaday prove they are more than Astonishing: They are unstoppable! Collects Astonishing X-Men #19-24 and Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:17 -0400)

Collects no. 19-24 of "Astonishing X-Men" and no. 1 of "Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men," in which the team of super-powered mutants rushes to save the Earth from the destructive plans of the Breakworld.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,567,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible