The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome

by Michael Parenti

Most historians, both ancient and modern, have viewed the Late Republic of Rome through the eyes of its rich nobility. In The Assassination of Julius Caesar, Michael Parenti presents us with a story of popular resistance against entrenched power and wealth. As he carefully weighs the evidence concerning the murder of Caesar, Parenti sketches in the background to the crime with fascinating detail about wider Roman society. In these pages we find reflections on the democratic struggle waged by Roman commoners, religious augury as an instrument of social control, the patriarchal oppression of women, and the political use of homophobic attacks. The Assassination of Julius Caesar offers a whole new perspective on an era we thought we knew well.… (more)

An absolutely outstanding history of late Rome. Focuses on the concerns of the common people and how deluded historians (Parenti calls them "Gentleman historians") in their prejudice for the wealthy elite, have denigrated Julius Caesar's record of accomplishments.

Parenti's explanation of a "people's history" is excellent. With few exceptions, he places historians in the same class as the wealthy elite who distort history for their own purposes and propaganda.

My saddest revelation was that Cicero was a mouthpiece and wannabe for the rich nobility. Parenti reveals him as small and grubby. What a shame. ( )
  Colby_Glass | Jul 26, 2015 |
A "people's history," like Howard Zinn. A very different viewpoint on Caesar: a champion of the people (lower and middle classes) rather than a tyrant. ( )
  Colby_Glass | Jul 2, 2015 |
Patrick says this book is hella good.
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Parenti claims that the role of the 'mob' played a much more important role to why Julius Caesar was assassinated. Caesar was planning to reform the government to give more to the people, similar to the Gracchi brothers. However, the oligarchy of Rome did not want that to happen, so they killed him. I particularly was interested on how Parenti depicted Cicero and his peers. ( )
  philae_02 | Sep 11, 2009 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,447,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible