Rissa And Tregare by F. M. Busby

Rissa And Tregare (original 1977; edition 1986)

by F. M. Busby

Member:Sethvir
Title:Rissa And Tregare
Authors:F. M. Busby
Info:Berkley (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages

Rissa and Tregare by F. M. Busby (1977)

The first book of this series had left me with mixed emotions. I enjoyed the relatively progressive kickass heroine, the generally entertaining storytelling, and some interesting ideas on interstellar capitalism. I was put off by the sophomoric obsession with sex.

For much of this second book I felt that it was an improvement, with less action but a fair amount of character development that goes beyond our two protagonists to a diverse supporting cast which even includes strong females whose raison d'être extends beyond giving adolescent teen boys something about which to fantasize.

Having said that, a few key late plot developments again left me feeling less than fully enthusiastic about Rissa and Tregare. It was obvious that the mysterious aliens were going to show up, and that Tregare was going to need to recruit them as allies. When they did finally make an appearance, the aliens, and how they interacted with the humans, and how the humans reacted to such interaction felt both rushed and pretty ridiculous. Likewise, Busby’s handling of the reappearance of an important character from early in the first book, the secrets that character was hiding, and how our protagonists reacted once the secret was revealed, all left me quite unimpressed.

As is perhaps not unusual for a second book in a trilogy, this second book doesn’t actually advance the story very much. It is largely about character development and setting up the climactic action to come in book three. ( )
  clong | Aug 5, 2013 |
Fictionwise multiformat ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Try finding a kickass heroine in science fiction before 1980, the year before this novel's publication. Particularly try finding a kickass action heroine of that date, one written by a male writer that doesn't make you, a woman, cringe. Rare.

So, in Rissa you have a strong heroine in a space opera of the kind you find in Robert Heinlein, David Weber, Lois McMaster Bujold, Elizabeth Moon. For me, this really hit the spot. And this is one of those old-fashioned tales about someone who starts at the very bottom of life only to rise to heights on smarts and gumption--and more than a little luck. And believe me, it's not as if Bran Tregare, a space pirate that could give Han Solo a run for his money, doesn't have his own appeal.

This is only the second book in the Rissa trilogy, so you should really start with Young Rissa (aka Rissa Kerguelan)--if you can. I can't remember how I discovered this series, I think I must have been lent one by a friend, because I do remember reading The Long View which I don't own. But I do remember then hunting used book stores trying to find more--and alas I only have three on my book shelves--and Young Rissa isn't one of them. Fortunately this novel can stand alone, even if there are tantalizing references to what must have happened in other books. Thes Rissa and Tregare books are a pleasure, and I'm only sorry they're not easily available--and that there aren't more. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Nov 1, 2012 |

F. M. Busbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shaw, Barclaysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seated, looking to his wife Rissa and his mother Liesel, Bran Tregare said "where's Hawkman and Sparline? ..."
This is the middle section of the original book Rissa Tregare, which they split into three parts to make reading it far more manageable than the original volume.

Rissa Kerguellen
At Five they slaughtered her parents and doomed her to slavery.

At seventeen she was [self] exiled from Earth, learning new and forbidden worlds.

At eighteen, she commanded an army in space.

RISSA AND TREGARE
    Second in the 3-part saga of Rissa Kerguelen originally published as one volume.

Bran Tregare.
To most he was a ruthless space pirate. But to Rissa he was what no man had ever been - her match in love and battle. Together they will build an armada to free Earth, but first they must conquer the Hidden Worlds ....
-------------------------

On Viewscreen from the ship No Return Hilaire Gowdy spoke. "This is a savage night, Tregare."
"Not by my doing."
"I suppose not. Well, what do you want of me?"
"What do you offer, Gowdy?"
"Peralta's dead, isn't he? For you to be alive, he has to be. All right - I'll open my ship to you and bring my people groundside. None armed, of course."
"Gowdy - why do you offer so much?"
"We've both had our fill of treachery. I offer only what I'd ask of you in my place."
Tregare nodded. "I accept." He turned to Rissa. "There could still be trouble. You want to come along?"
"Did you think, Tregare, that I would stay behind?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425071162, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:26 -0400)

Living a desperate life in the Total Welfare Center, the orphan Rissa discovers she has won the lottery and takes a chance to shape her own destiny. After she escapes from Earth with the help of a space pirate who may be more trouble than she expected, she soon discovers that together they might have a chance to shape Earth's destiny as well.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible