The Best of Amish Cooking

by Phyllis Pellman Good

Recipes adapted form the kitchens and pantries of Amish cooks. Presented in their historical setting. Beautiful color photos. Delicious, savory recipes. Better Homes and Gardens Books Club. Featured by Book of the Month Club. Better Homes and Gardens Cook Books Club.           This beautiful book by a leading expert on Amish cooking highlights traditional and contemporary recipes adapted from the kitchens and pantries of Amish cooks. Phyllis Pellman Good has spent years researching these foods. She has interviewed Amish grandmothers and dipped into old books, diaries, and recipe boxes. The dishes she selected are ones that were and continue to be popular in eastern Pennsylvania, usually in the Lancaster area. According to Good, they reflect the fruitfulness of Amish fields and gardens, as well as the group's emphasis on family and community. Wonderful descriptions and introductions prepare the setting. And delicious, savory recipes fill this book with some of the best food you'll find anywhere. Skyhorse Publishing, along with our Good Books and Arcade imprints, is proud to publish a broad range of cookbooks, including books on juicing, grilling, baking, frying, home brewing and winemaking, slow cookers, and cast iron cooking. We've been successful with books on gluten-free cooking, vegetarian and vegan cooking, paleo, raw foods, and more. Our list includes French cooking, Swedish cooking, Austrian and German cooking, Cajun cooking, as well as books on jerky, canning and preserving, peanut butter, meatballs, oil and vinegar, bone broth, and more. While not every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might not otherwise find a home.… (more)

I love the simplicity of this cookbook. It has a little of everything from breads to preserving to main courses. The only pictures are random ones without explanation which I didn't like. I think 3.5 stars is more appropriate for this book. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
I love this cookbook.I have Pennsylvania Dutch/German ancestors and have no family recipes. I have been reading other Amish cookbooks since the cuisine is the same.I was quite disappointed since those books have quite modern recipes like guacamole,taco dip,tacos etc. I wanted traditional Amish recipes and this book has them! Simple,basic foods.Some recipes more difficult than others,and this book includes canning recipes! It also includes shopping lists and recipes for large functions like church socials and group picnics! This book has something for everyone,I am so impressed I am purchasing it! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Th Amish have captured the interest of the modern world because of their quaint clothing, homes and buggies, their striking quilts, their lusty food.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,872,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible