Being Red by Howard Fast

Being Red (1990)

by Howard Fast

Being Red is an intimate memoir of an extraordinary time--the years Howard Fast, one of our nation's most popular authors, spent in the American Communist Party, and under the constant surveillance of the FBI. 8-page photo insert.Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved.

French (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
2799. Being Red, by Howard Fast (read 11 Nov 1995) This is a 1990 book in which Fast tells of his 12 years as a Communist, from 1944 to 1956. It is an interesting story, but he still believes a lot of the Communist line, and does not regret much of what he did to help Communist tyranny. I am appalled at some of what he tells of J. Edgar Hoover's grossly illegal shenanigans, but his hatred for Truman convinces me that his Communist mindset has not been abandoned. Nevertheless, I do think I should read some of his pro-Communist books. Freedom Road seems an obvious candidate. Illustrative of Fast's blindness is his dismissal of the Hiss case as "so ridiculous that it might come straight from the pages of Alice in Wonderland." Fast is hopeless. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 28, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,568,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible