Defiant Irish Women by Eddie Lenihan

Defiant Irish Women (edition 1998)

by Eddie Lenihan

612,276,580 (3)None
This book tells the story of five Irish women who were unusual in a variety of ways - mostly because of their ruthlessness, political cunning or merely because they rebelled violently against the repressive mores of their times. These five women - Aoibheall the Banshee, Máire Rua McMahon, Lady Betty, Moll Shaughnessy and Alice Kyteler - each have their distinct place in history. Eddie Lenihan, in telling the stories of their lives and the legends that grew up around them, ensures that we will not forget the prominent part played by these women in our Irish heritage.… (more)
Member:eibhy
Title:Defiant Irish Women
Authors:Eddie Lenihan
Info:Mercier Press (1998), Paperback, 142 pages

Work Information

Defiant Irish Women by Eddie Lenihan

Not my usual kind of book, but this was a gift from some great friends of mine who went to Ireland, and how I wish I were with them! I’d love to visit that wonderful country so steeped in folklore.

Fortunately they had a mind to gift me with a book, and what better choice than a book about strong female figures? The author collected stories from the Irish lore, but the fact that the first edition of this collection was named “ferocious” instead of “defiant” might tell it all: there is little redemption here, or female heroines: as a XXI century reader I have some difficulties to accept such flat depictions, but it’s still history (probably written by men) so it was a slow but nice read.

Rumors are ugly creatures at any time, since no one knows where they may begin or end, but when mention of witchcraft entwines itself with rumor, they unite to become dangerous and sinister. ( )
  Alissa- | Dec 15, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,362,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible