Devil's Cape by Rob Rogers

Devil's Cape

by Rob Rogers

"A city where corruption and heroism walk hand-in-hand, and justice and mercy are bought and paid for in blood, Devil's Cape has never been kind to its heroes. But when a new band of vigilantes rises from the ashes of one of the city's most horrific murders, they set in motion a course of events that will change the city forever - but not necessarily for the better."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

I'm not much into superhero stuff, or comic books, or any of that. But this book knocked my socks off. Such thought went into the origin stories of these characters. The detail and care was a delight. I am so sad that he hasn't written a sequel yet. ( )
  booktruffler | Oct 12, 2014 |
An absolutely phenomenal update on the superhero genre. Engaging, challenging, dark and hopeful by turns, and altogether too realistic. I'm already hoping for a sequel. ( )
  candlemark | Jul 18, 2011 |
Let me start by saying this surprised me the most out of all books I have read recently. I originally thought it would be a cheesy romp through another fictional comic city. But I was pleasently surprised to see that the book takes on a different approach towards heoroes and how they are portrayed.

Its almost like the Watchmen in feel but pulls it off a lot better in my opinion. This may be due to the fact that you could relate to some characters a lot easier than in other works.

All in all a great book.

Also how hard ass do you have to be to actually have to have a shotgun inserted into another bullet hole to kill you? ( )
  pandaadam | Mar 16, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This isn't my usual type of book to read, but I was curious and it sounded like something I could share with my husband. The writing was good, the story gripping, and the characters well-crafted. I definitely would like to read more by this author in the future.
  LiteraryFeline | Oct 10, 2008 |
Devil’s Cape is the first novel from author Rob Rogers. It is set in a world where super heroes exist and are an accepted part of life- as in flying around in spandex suits with capes and having names like The Grey Ghost, Argonaut, and Bedlam. But unlike the comic books, the world of Devil’s Cape is grim and deadly, with a high body count of both heroes and villains.
The city of Devil’s Cape Louisiana is a few miles from its more famous sister New Orleans. Founded by a pirate as a smugglers haven, Devil’s Cape has never shed its legacy of danger and corruption. In fact, at times it’s as if the residents and the city itself revel in their dark past. The story revolves around several residents of the city who discover their powers and are motivated for different reasons to join forces and confront the villainous crime-lord known as “The Robber Baron” who runs the city.
At the beginning of the book the author takes a trip back in time several years as he builds the foundation of the story, it’s a long but interesting build, and the reader will realize its necessity when they reach the present day and the story begins to unfold. The characters are well thought out and interesting. I became invested in them, and even with detailed set up there were times I wished I knew more about them, but for the story at hand what the author gives suffices. The story builds as the various threads are pulled together snugly. The action in Devil’s Cape is quick, intense and deadly. For example, one of the heroes in the story gets taken out by a head shot from a sniper with a high powered rifle followed by a bunch of guys with sledge hammers to finish the job. Brutal.
By the end of the story I was savoring every page. Rogers wraps the story up nicely and leaves open the opportunity for more adventure in the Devil’s Cape universe. As I finished the last pages I was ready to dive into the next adventure, and that’s the best recommendation I can give it. ( )
  The_Evil_DM | Sep 23, 2008 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rob Rogers's book Devil's Cape was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible