Algebra the Easy Way (Barron's E-Z) by…

Algebra the Easy Way (Barron's E-Z) (original 1983; edition 1996)

by Douglas A. Downing (Author), Susan Detrich (Illustrator)

Describes and explains uses of equations, polynomials, the binomial formula, exponential functions, logarithms, and much more, with exercises and answers. Over the years, Barron's popular and widely-used Easy Way books have proven themselves to be accessible self-teaching manuals. They have also found their way into many classrooms as valuable and easy-to-use textbook supplements. The titles cover a wide variety of both practical and academic topics, presenting fundamental subject matter so that it can be clearly understood and provide a foundation for more advanced study. Easy Way books fulfill many purposes. They help students improve their grades, serve as good test preparation review books, and provide readers working outside classroom settings with practical information on subjects that relate to their occupations and careers. All Easy Way books include review questions and mini-tests with answers. All new Easy Way editions feature type in two-colors, the second color used to highlight important study points and topic heads.… (more)
Member:pksahgal
Title:Algebra the Easy Way (Barron's E-Z)
Authors:Douglas A. Downing (Author)
Other authors:Susan Detrich (Illustrator)
Info:Barron's Educational Series (1996), Edition: 3rd, 334 pages
Tags:Basement

Algebra the Easy Way by Douglas Downing (1983)

Practical Algebra: A Self-Teaching Guide by Peter H. Selby (Sundry)
    Sundry: Begins with the number system; ends with ratio, proportion, and variation.

Algebra the easy way simplifies the concepts in Algebra through telling a fictional story. Downing breaks down concepts that could otherwise be difficult by showing the reader the reasoning of each concept. By doing this, the reader does not rely on the traditional mathematics way of teaching which is simply to learn the formula and apply it to problems.
The primary issue I have with this book is that I believe that the best way to apply Mathematics is through word problems which force the student to think and learn when and where it is appropriate to apply each formula. However, this book provides a great jump off point for any person who struggles with Algebra. I believe that as a teacher, I could use this book and then take the example problems further by creating a word problem for the students. As I say that, the emphasis on testing requires that the students are also able to know the material and use the formulas when necessary. Although I disagree with that as a method of learning, I understand the necessity in today's educational system.
  R_Sullivan | Apr 29, 2013 |
I purchased this book as an algebra review. Personal use, not for school. There is information about algebra in the book, but the information is buried in short stories about a mythical land of Camorra. Characters from Camorra run into problems, and solve the problems with algebra. It's like Sesame Street for high school, or college, students. I'm not denigrating this teaching method. I just don't do well trying to review, or learn, with this teaching method. For me, the chatty Camorrans were a hindrance, not a help. ( )
  Sundry | May 3, 2010 |
This book is for Charlie Roberts
This book tells the adventures that took place in the faraway land of Carmorra.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,434,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible