Cruel and unusual. by Patricia Cornwell

Cruel and unusual. (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Patricia Cornwell (Author)

Series: Kay Scarpetta (4)

"A knockout" (People) of a thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Patricia Cornwell featuring medical examiner Kay Scarpetta. "Killing me won't kill the beast" are the last words of rapist-murderer Ronnie Joe Waddell, written four days before his execution. But they can't explain how medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta finds Waddell's fingerprints on another crime scene--after she'd performed his autopsy. If this is some sort of game, Scarpetta seems to be the target. And if the next victim is someone she knows, the punishment will be cruel and unusual...… (more)
Member:caroline_r
Title:Cruel and unusual.
Authors:Patricia Cornwell (Author)
Info:Time Warner Paperbacks (1994), Edition: First Printing, 448 pages

Work Information

Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell (1993)

English (42)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (49)
I felt very detached and removed from this story. There was little that happened in terms of trying to locate the murderer for much of this book, being as it was focused on the professionalism of Dr Scarpetta. Lots of technical IT related material added to my disengagement. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
is the executed murderer really dead?
  ritaer | Mar 23, 2021 |
KS finds herself in serious trouble when her staff start to behave oddly after the death of a convicted criminal.
We see the reemergence of Lucy, who hasn’t visited since the first book, and has undergone some personal growth. Lucy is turning into a solid character.
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
Ein Dreizehnjähriger wird brutal ermordet - Kay Scarpetta ermittelt

Unter großem öffentlichen Protest wird Ronnie Joe Waddel in Virginia auf dem elektrischen Stuhl hingerichtet. Wenig später wird Gerichtsmedizinerin Dr. Kay Scarpetta zu einem besonders grausamen Tatort gerufen: Ein Dreizehnjähriger ist brutal ermordet worden. Die Spuren am Tatort und die Vorgehensweise des Täters lassen nur einen möglichen Schluss zu: Joe Waddel muss der Mörder sein. Doch der lag zum Zeitpunkt der Tat schon auf Scarpettas Obduktionstisch ... Ein Hingerichteter, der weitermordet?
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
I know that I have read several of the books in this series, but it has been awhile. I wasn't sure if I had already read this one, but after starting it, I knew that I hadn't. I enjoyed reading this book. I like stories about medical examiners. It seems like an interesting career. This book was a pleasure to read. It was well written, and held my interest throughout. Even the parts that were more character exposition than action were interesting. I love her niece Lucy. I remember her from future books in the series, and it was nice to see her at an earlier age.

The central mystery was interesting. The fingerprints of a man recently executed start showing up at crime scenes. And there appears to be a connection to someone in Dr. Scarpetta's office. I enjoyed watching her figure out what was happening, although I was sad to think that that level of corruption and deceit could occur.

Reading this book made me want to read the rest of the books in this series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beltran, CarlosCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for the inimitable Dr. Marcella Fierro.
(You taught Scarpetta well.)
It is two weeks before Christmas.

Cornwell embroils Kay Scarpetta in a grisly case involving a recently executed murderer whose fingerprints turn up in at a new crime scene...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible