Lush Life: A Novel by Richard Price

Lush Life: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Richard Price

It's 2003, and after eight years downtown, Eric Cash is falling further and further behind in his plans to become an actor. Or a writer. Or a restaurateur. To become anything but what he is--the oldest employee at Café Berkmann. So if the new bartender pissed him off, who could blame him? Ike Marcus had confidence. He had hustle. Most of all, in a neighborhood where thirty is the new fifty, Ike was young. Then one evening a street kid from the "other" Lower East Side stepped up to them and pulled a gun. Ike's last words were "Not tonight, my man." At least, that's Eric's version.… (more)
Member:jerryphillips
Title:Lush Life: A Novel
Authors:Richard Price
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages

Lush Life by Richard Price (2008)

English (95)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (100)
Whoa, started very slow and very jumpy. I hate bouncing from scene to scene as a style. This began that way, then settled down and now, 150 pgs in, I'm totally riveted. The writing and especially the dialog is very good.

It takes place nowadays in the hippest part of the Lower East Side of Manhattan, a murder mystery, though we know pretty much everything (I think!), and we're just following the police investigation (good and bad cops, DAs, etc.) and the vagaries of fairness and justice. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
It has unfortunately been several months now since I listened to this and while I remember "not tonight, my man" I don't remember a lot of other details.

There are several versions of what happened that night, told by others. While promising, it didn't grab me the way I thought it would. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Nice dialogue and descriptions of New York, but I didn't quite connect with the story or characters. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
4.5 stars. Character = plot = dialogue. Wounded people in a gritty, vibrant, urban world occasionally illuminated with bright flashes of sunlight. You put a Richard Price book down and the characters stay with you. If you want to know how to write dialogue, read this guy. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
A meandering yet engrossing story about police & criminal life in NYC.
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
Price is a builder, a drafter of vast blueprints, and though the Masonic keystone of his novel is a box-shaped N.Y.P.D. office, he stacks whole slabs of city on top of it and excavates colossal spaces beneath it. He doesn’t just present a slice of life, he piles life high and deep.
added by timtom | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Mar 16, 2008)

As always, with love for
Judy, Annie, and Gen
The Quality of Life Task Force: four sweatshirts in a bogus taxi set up on the corner of Clinton Street alongside the Williamsburg Bridge off-ramp to profile the incoming salmon run; their mantra: Dope, guns, overtime; their motto: Everyone's got something to lose.
original title: Lush Life

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,403,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible