Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice…

Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (original 1871; edition 1993)

by Lewis Carroll (Author), John Tenniel (Illustrator)

5,5861051,201 (3.99)2 / 208
Member:Terrencee
Title:Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There
Authors:Lewis Carroll (Author)
Other authors:John Tenniel (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1993), 240 pages
Tags:youth, classics

Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (1871)

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (SilentInAWay)
    SilentInAWay: Juster's witty wordplay is in the same league as Carroll's
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both books use a mirror as a portal to another world where everyday things and ideas become reversed and distorted.
    Gambit by Rex Stout (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books centered on a chess game

English (102)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (104)
Alice dreams a creative, witty mirror-world behind the looking-glass, where nursery rhymes come to life, scenes and creatures shapeshift, phrases are taken literally, mad ideas, puzzles and silly poetry abound. But. While Alice herself is charming and considerate, everyone she encounters is self-absorbed, mad, and often mean. They constantly interrupt, lecture, patronize her, put her down, correct her, talk at her. I felt like I was in a suffocating nightmare. Despite the brilliance of the word-play, I could not wait for it to end. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Alright this was very confusing. I understand why people don't really talk about this one...there were just different stories and characters that bumped into each other and it feels like it doesn't have any purpose. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
Alice and her cat Dinah step through the looking glass and enter a kingdom of strange creatures and have many adventures. Every once in a while you must re-read these classics. ( )
  etxgardener | Jan 2, 2018 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Sep 27, 2017 |
4.5 stars. Going into it, I expected that I was only going to enjoy select parts of this book. I'm pleased to say that I was wrong! Though the majority of this book is nonsensical, the word play throughout is so fun and endearing. I really loved the whimsy. ( )
  ReadandFindOut | Sep 23, 2017 |
A continuation of a book that has proved very popular seldom is successful, and we cannot say that we think that Alice's last adventures by any means equal to her previous ones. Making every allowance for the lack of novelty, and our own more highly raised expectations, it seems to us that the paradies are slightly less delightfully absurd, the nonsense not so quaint, the transitions rather more forced. There is not that air of verisimilitude which somehow made the wildest improbabilities seem perfectly natural. Still with all this, in "Through the Looking-glass" the author has surpassed all modern writers of children's books except himself. To seek for a rival equally as deserving of the veneration of the nursery we must go back to the unknown genius that produced "Puss in Boots."
added by Cynfelyn | editThe Manchester Guardian (Dec 27, 1871)

Carroll, Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, JustinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll

The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll by Lewis Carroll

The Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll

The Best of Lewis Carroll by Lewis Carroll

The Philosopher's Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Peter Laughlan Heath

Alice in Wonderland [Norton Critical Edition, 1st ed.] by Lewis Carroll

The Little Prince and Other Stories (Wordsworth Library Collection) by Wordsworth Editions

Alice in Wonderland [Norton Critical Edition, 2nd ed.] by Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland [Norton Critical Edition, 3rd ed.] by Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories (Leatherbound Classics) by Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass / The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland Collection: All Four Books by Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland: The Complete Collection [all 5 books a lost chapter from "Through the Looking Glass"] (Book Center) (The Greatest Fictional Characters of All Time) by Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, Phantasmagoria and Other Poems by Lewis Carroll

Classic Lewis Carroll by Lewis Carroll

Oeuvres de Lewis Carroll, tome 1 by Lewis Carroll

The Annotated Alice: 150th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (150th Deluxe Anniversary Edition) (The Annotated Books) by Lewis Carroll

The Complete Alice in Wonderland (Wonderland Imprints Master Editions) by Lewis Carroll

The Collected Stories of Lewis Carroll: Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass/Phantasmagoria by Lewis Carroll

The Lewis Carroll Book by Lewis Carroll

The Wonderland Collection Alice's Adventures a Tangled Tale Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Through the looking glass and what Alice found there ; The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blentyn y talcen glân, di-loes
A'r drem freuddwydiol, dyner!
Ni waeth bod rhyngom hanner oes,
Ac er cyflymed amser,
Diau daw serchus wên i'th bryd
O dderbyn rhodd o stori hud.

Ni chlywais dinc dy chwerthin ffri [&c. &c.]
[Dim]
One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it: -- it was the black kitten's fault entirely.
One thing was certain, that the white kitten had nothing to do with it—it was the black kitten’s fault entirely.
One can’t believe impossible things.

I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
‘Better say nothing at all. Language is worth a thousand pounds a word!’
This is an edition of "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there" only; please don't combine with copies that include other works.
"Text Edited by Selwyn H. Goodacre"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140620877, Paperback)

I had sent my heroine straight down a rabbit-hole ...without the least idea what was to happen afterwards,' wrote Charles Dodgson, describing how Alice was conjured up one 'golden afternoon' in 1862 to entertain his child-friend Alice Liddell. His dream worlds of nonsensical Wonderland and the back-to-front Looking-Glass kingdom depict order turned upside-down: a baby turns into a pig; time is abandoned at a disordered tea-party; and a chaotic game of chess makes a seven-year-old girl a Queen. But amongst the anarchic humour and sparkling word play, puzzles, paradoxes and riddles, are poignant moments of elegiac nostalgia for lost childhood. Startlingly original and experimental, the Alice books provide readers with a double window on both child and adult worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

After climbing through the mirror in her room, Alice enters a world similar to a chess board where she experiences many curious adventures with its fantastic inhabitants.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628921, 0763642622

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010209X, 140010887X, 1400115752

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible