The dot by Peter H. Reynolds

The dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

Series: Creatrilogy (1)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.
Member:LilyBethany
Title:The dot
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:London : Walker Books, 2004.

The Dot by Peter H. REYNOLDS (2003)

English (301)  Dutch (1)  All languages (302)
Loved this! I wish I had this book when my kids were young or even when I was young. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
A very short book I discovered on Ali Wong's Goodreads summer reads list of recommendations. It is found in the Juvenile section of the library. What a great place for it! The story contains a message that kids are never to young to hear.
It is a story about talking yourself into believing you can not do something until one day, one wise individual shows you that you can.
Speaking of dots, there is a little surprise to this book that is quite appropriate for young kids you have a reason to believe they can't do something. ( )
  Carmenere | Jun 16, 2021 |
This story would be a good fit for primary grade levels. This is a story about a little girl who thinks she cannot draw. That is until she makes a dot out of spite and finds that her teacher celebrates it and even hangs it up over her desk. The little girl soon discovers an unexpected love for art and finds what is considered "art" is in the eye of the beholder. This story would be a great choice for art lessons or for students who are struggling in any subject and need some motivation to try. ( )
  dmckibbon | Mar 12, 2021 |
Vashti, a young girl believed she could not draw. However, her teacher tells her to simply mark something on her paper and see where that takes her. She decides to draw a dot on the paper, and her teacher frames it up the next day. Through this, Vashti learns that she can only be good at something if she gives it a try. This book would be great for early elementary students. ( )
  sobiec | Mar 8, 2021 |
This book could be a nice book for primary or intermediate students. It tells the story of a little girl named Vashti, who is struggling to draw a picture one day in school. She tells her teacher that she is not creative and not a good drawer, but her teacher encourages her that she is, Vashti draws a little dot on her paper, and her teacher tells her to sign it. The next day Vashti finds her teacher has framed her art work and Vashti begins creating a gallery of dot art, and the book ends with her presenting it at an art show and her encouraging a little boy to sign a piece of paper that he drew a squiggly line on. This was a very helpful book because it shows the importance of teachers beleiving in their students and seeking out ways to show them that they are creative, meaningful, and powerful. I would use this book during an art lesson, to help students see that their creations, no matter what they look like, are valuabale.
  ledambrockman | Mar 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,247,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible