The Dot by Peter H Reynolds

The Dot (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Peter H Reynolds (Author)

Series: Creatrilogy (1)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.
Member:Yardape
Title:The Dot
Authors:Peter H Reynolds (Author)
Info:Candlewick (2003), Edition: First Edition, 32 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:**1/2

Work Information

The Dot by Peter H. REYNOLDS (2003)

English (328)  Dutch (1)  All languages (329)
Independent Reading Level:K-3
Awards: The Christopher Award and the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award
  abbeyhutcheson | Apr 29, 2024 |
reading level ages 4-7
Award 2005 Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Children's Video.
  jayceyrr | Apr 25, 2024 |
The story is about a girl who thinks she struggles to do art but then is motivated by her teacher to try. After overcoming her apprehension she realizes that she would love to have more experiences like this and she uses this as motivation she continue to be creative.

I would love to read this to both intermediate and primary students to promote self confidence, positive identity outlooks, and creativity.
  kthomas22 | Apr 24, 2024 |
This was a cool book we read for trends and methods. This is a great book for art class. I really loved how encouraging this book is. I loved how this was a book you can show to a student and show them that they are loved and they can do hard things.
  eweeks22 | Apr 16, 2024 |
“I can’t draw”: Book Review of The Dot
Review by Sarah Mist

A young girl, Vashti, thinks she can’t draw, but her art teacher inspires her and she realizes her own creative talent.

A sweet, inspiring story about cutting through narrow limiting concepts about art and creativity. I love the simple line and water colour illustrations and even the scratchy font was an inspiration. I think this book really hit the mark with my seven-year-old son who went through a phase of thinking that leaves could only be painted green and the sky had to be blue. I did notice a distinctive shift in his approach to art after reading this lovely little book.

★★★★★ 5 stars from my seven-year-old son
  MiddleWayEducation | Apr 6, 2024 |

Belongs to Series

Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,744,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible