Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom by Tsugumi…

Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom (2003)

by Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata (Illustrator)

English (66)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (74)
Death note is about a boy who one day gets a strange thing delivered. It's a death note dropped by a demon. The death note looks like an average book but, when a name is written in it they die. Although you must have an image of that person in your head (that way someone who shares the same name isn't affected.) The boy gets out of hand and ends up bitting off more then he can chew, people start noticing the random deaths. A lazy but super intelligent "detective" tries to find out who the killer is. The killer ends up joining with him and pretend he isn't the killer. The detective however is very suspicious of the boy. The detective becomes suspicious of many people though. He ends up putting the boy in "jail". He concludes that the boy isn't the killer (though he is) and continues searching. Eventually the boy trades eyes with the demon who dropped the book, this allows the boy to see anyones name. The detective ends up dying (my least favorite part as the detective was my favorite character) and is replaced by a child. The search is continued, however that's the end of that. However there is many more volumes. I thoroughly enjoyed this because it deals with hard hitting stuff like mental disorder and death and think anyone would enjoy this (especially if they've had someone in there life with mental disorder or have had someone die in there life) if they enjoy manga in general. Some life lessons I learned were:

How do you define a better world?
What is a world without crime?
What makes a world rotten?

So for conclusion, it had a great story, it had great philosophic questions asked during it, it had great life lessons, it had great character build up, and it was overall great. ( )
  ConnorB.G1 | Jan 22, 2019 |
Loved it. Kira slowly perverts into an evil villain with a bemused god looking on. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Pretty good, it's rather funny as well. I'm glad I decided to read these. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
This manga had a pretty decent premise that I found to be interesting. The story had me hooked, but I found the beginning to be slightly confusing because it seemed to jump around quite a bit. That only straightened itself out a little as the book went on.

That being said, I would like to see where the story goes from this point on. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Ohba, Tsugumiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obata, TakeshiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Same old thing, day after day...What a bore."

"This world is a rotten mess..."

Light tests the boundaries of the Death Note's powers as L and the police begin to close in. Luckily Light's father is the head of the Japanese National Police Agency and leaves vital information about the case lying around the house. With access to his father's files, Light can keep one step ahead of the authorities. But who is the strange man following him, and how can Light guard against enemies whose names he doesn't know?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible