dismiss

Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom (2003)

by Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata (Illustrator)

Series: Death Note (1), Desu Nōto (1-7)

Light tests the boundaries of the Death Note's powers as L and the police begin to close in. Luckily Light's father is the head of the Japanese National Police Agency and leaves vital information about the case lying around the house. With access to his father's files, Light can keep one step ahead of the authorities. But who is the strange man following him, and how can Light guard against enemies whose names he doesn't know?… (more)

English (69)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (77)
Though manga is not my favourite genre, I read this on the advice of my son (the coolest 13-year-old ever) and really enjoyed it. The main character, Light, is a bored, but clearly intelligent and over-achieving high schooler whose initial appeal to the book’s target audience of like-minded teenagers (and, dare I say, adults?) is almost certain. His (semi-)partner in crime (or interested observer, at least) is a death god (shinigami), whose facial expressions and banter with Light made me guffaw outright. This shinigami, too, is bored, and has left his instrument—the Death Note—where a human is sure to find it and put it to use for the shinigami’s amusement.

The reader’s early identification with Light becomes a somewhat troubling tension pretty quickly, though, as he discovers the power of the Death Note and, weirdly, isn’t afraid to use it. It was a little hair-raising, to be honest, how quickly Light shifted from bored teenager to a morally ambivalent killer-by-proxy whose primary obsession is killing off criminals using the notebook.

I read another review here that suggests the book is neither macabre, nor about killing people—um, yes, it is. At the very least, it raises some interesting questions (in our house, anyway) about the morality of capital punishment.

The book is an engaging, quick read and I’m looking forward to reading issue #2.
1 vote Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |
What would you do if you had the power to kill anyone just by writing his name on a notebook? How would you catch someone that kills all the criminals without even being physically present? This is the core of the storyline of Death Note where two brilliant people will try to find and kill one another.

Brilliant Storyline and Unique characters!!! ( )
  Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Having previously seen the anime series of Death Note, I was also curious about the manga they were based on. As it was my first experience with Manga (and I had little experience reading other types of graphic novels as well) I anticipated some problems, but this wasn't necessary. It just took a little bit of getting used, but before I knew it, it was like I never did anything else.

The main thing I noticed when reading Boredome was how closely the anime followed the manga, making that the story came to life even more. I'm already looking forward to the rest of the series! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
I read this manga several years ago and loved it from the first page. Therefore, I already know everything that goes on which loses some of the shock value, but I still love Light Yagami's initial kindness that is hard to know whether it is genuine or a masquerade to his true self as the ruthless serial killer/megalomaniac Kira.

The first volume is definitely worth reading if you like thrillers with supernatural elements! ( )
  chirikosan | Jun 25, 2019 |
Death note is about a boy who one day gets a strange thing delivered. It's a death note dropped by a demon. The death note looks like an average book but, when a name is written in it they die. Although you must have an image of that person in your head (that way someone who shares the same name isn't affected.) The boy gets out of hand and ends up bitting off more then he can chew, people start noticing the random deaths. A lazy but super intelligent "detective" tries to find out who the killer is. The killer ends up joining with him and pretend he isn't the killer. The detective however is very suspicious of the boy. The detective becomes suspicious of many people though. He ends up putting the boy in "jail". He concludes that the boy isn't the killer (though he is) and continues searching. Eventually the boy trades eyes with the demon who dropped the book, this allows the boy to see anyones name. The detective ends up dying (my least favorite part as the detective was my favorite character) and is replaced by a child. The search is continued, however that's the end of that. However there is many more volumes. I thoroughly enjoyed this because it deals with hard hitting stuff like mental disorder and death and think anyone would enjoy this (especially if they've had someone in there life with mental disorder or have had someone die in there life) if they enjoy manga in general. Some life lessons I learned were:

How do you define a better world?
What is a world without crime?
What makes a world rotten?

So for conclusion, it had a great story, it had great philosophic questions asked during it, it had great life lessons, it had great character build up, and it was overall great. ( )
  ConnorB.G1 | Jan 22, 2019 |

Ohba, Tsugumiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obata, TakeshiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Same old thing, day after day...What a bore."

"This world is a rotten mess..."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,892,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible