Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by…

Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart

by Joann Sfar, Lewis Trondheim

It had to be fate. I saw these books at the library and they looked like they might be good BUT... they didn't have the first one. I'm a completist, I could NOT start with volume 2 so I gave up. A week later, digging through a box of comics a friend had given me to sell more than a year ago, I find the first 8 comics in the series (the first 2 graphic novels). The dark, most-likely unclean, hand of some god of comedic fantasy had obviously reached into my life.

I grew up reading Finieous Fingers and What's New and have read some of the newer stuff like Knights of the Dinner Table etc... but it's been a while sense I enjoy funny fantasy comics as much as I enjoyed this. I love the "crappy" art, the zany and unpredictable laws of physics, and the occasional social commentary. I can definitely see myself hunting down and collecting this entire series.

On a side note the individual comics (not the collections) are in black and white, I can't wait to read the others in color.

Recommended for ages 8 to 108. This 45 year old child is enjoying them as much as, if not more than, he would have so many years ago before adult life shackled him to a desk and crushed all (okay just some) of his dreams. ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 25, 2015 |
I liked the various spoofs they did of the D&D set, as well as the medieval pauper rescuing a princess trope. ( )
  reenum | Jul 12, 2010 |
If you've grown up on D&D, you'll love it. Might love it otherwise, too. ( )
  dst | Feb 16, 2009 |

Joann Sfarprimary authorall editionscalculated
Trondheim, Lewismain authorall editionsconfirmed
English version contains
Coeur de canard
and
Le roi de la bagarre

Welcome to Dungeon, the looniest world of horror and heroic fantasy you?ll ever be transported into! This series, a best-seller in many countries, starts with the apogee of Dungeon, a mighty castle filled with monsters, trolls and goblins kept by a wily bird, the Dungeon Keeper, and the object of desire of many an uncouth and disgusting form of life (and afterlife) and Herbert the Timorous Duck is assigned to defend it! Thank goodness, the Dungeon Keeper has assigned Marvin the Dragon, a blood-thirsty, uh, vegetarian warrior, to his side.--Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,326,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible