Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Flight From Stonewycke by Michael Phillips

Flight From Stonewycke

by Michael Phillips, Judith Pella

269363,676 (4)1

I read this before, worth reading again. Kind of a variation of romeo & Juliet... ( )
  CAFinNY | Apr 26, 2019 |
The Stonewycke Trilogy, Book 2
  BethanyBible | Apr 5, 2010 |
Second in the Stonewycke trilogy. Maggie and Ian have run off and gotten themselves hitched, against the wishes of her Evil Father. He finds them!! He chases them!! They have to go to America to get away !!!!!!!! But Ian can't go!!! He must protect his honor!!!! So he sends Magge on without him!!!!! Will they both survive to see each other again?!!?!?!?! Will this book end happily?????? Can I use enough exclamation points to show how wonderfully bad this book was?!?!?!?
The answers, in order, are: Yes, no, and not a chance. Of course, the first answer is just conjecture, but no book this predictable is going to kill off either one of their main characters. They just try to create cliffhanger moments to make their readers come back for more.
I will come back, thanks, but not because I care about what happens to Mr and Mrs. Mary Sue. This is one of those books which is so bad, it's fun to read. While some parts, with their blatant misogyny (A wife's greatest joy is serving her husband - even if there's a good chance it'll get the whole family killed.) pissed me off, other parts were so simplistic and internally inconsistent they made me laugh out loud.
For example, at one point Maggie is having Deep Thoughts, and concludes that God has nothing to do with evil. She later has a Deep Conversation with Mr. Mary Sue the II who Pines for her Love, and they conclude that God takes little interest in human affairs - he likes for people to come to him broken and wounded so he can heal their pain. (Summary of their words, not mine.) Then, later in the book, Mr. Mary Sue the III (these authors like Mary Sues. Could you tell?) goes ecstatic over the fact that he is 'not responsible for his own actions' as god is his guiding every step. Gee, these three espoused viewpoints work together right well, don't they? My dissatisfaction, though, is caused less by including all of these options for explaining the presence of evil, than by the fact that none of these options ... work. The authors work hard to present three different arguments, and all of them are faulty.
Yeah, I had fun with it. However, I recommend everyone else stay far away. 3/10 ( )
  hrissliss | Jul 10, 2006 |

Michael Phillipsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pella, Judithmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Book Two in The Stoneycke Trilogy continues the sweeping, panoramic saga of three generations in the lives of an aristocratic Scottish family. After Maggie and Ian's secret marriage, they flee their beloved Stonewycke in peril of their lives.

The young, robust new country across the ocean represents a whole new life for the denizens of Stonewycke in Scotland. What will going to America mean? Will they truly be able to leave the past behind? Will Ian be cleared of the criminal charge against him?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,505,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible