At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories

by Kij Johnson

These stories feature cats, bees, wolves, dogs-- and even that most capricious of animals, humans.

English (35)  Finnish (1)  All languages (36)
A really nice collection of short stories, most of them animal-themed. Fantasy verging into magical realism, I'd call them, but with a nice mix of poignancy and some really vivid imagery. I really liked these! (h/t to Elizabeth Hunter for the recommendation) ( )
  qBaz | May 28, 2021 |
A series of very, very well written emotional roller coasters. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Jan 25, 2021 |
Longer review later when I have the names of the stories in front of me again. ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
Well written, many of them sad. I liked "The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles" and "The Man Who Bridged the Mist" the best. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Nov 12, 2019 |
Because I wasn't enamored of the book's title (or the bee on the cover) I let this book languish on my shelves for 7 years . . . A collection of stories, some very short, a few very long, that are the real thing, speculative fiction: What if? . . . there was a river of bees crossing Montana? . . . the disappearing monkeys in the magic act go to a different dimension, briefly? . . . domesticated animals suddenly could talk? . . . . What makes the stories pulse with life are the characters: the woman who runs the magic act, the woman who follows the river of bees to the mouth (so loving and so straight up true about loving a dog that it is maybe the best dog story I've ever read), the woman who tries to help the newly self-aware dogs when people find they hate having them around. If you loathe speculative fiction, sf, fantasy, well, don't bother, but it you do love the genre you want to check out Johnson, if not this book, then some other. I sure will! ***** ( )
  sibylline | Jul 6, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kij Johnson's book At the Mouth of the River of Bees was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,142,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible