Digital Mosaics: The Aesthetics of…

Digital Mosaics: The Aesthetics of Cyberspace

by Steven Holtzman

491356,144 (2)None

Gravity-defying sculptures that can exist only in cyberspace … an interactive opera in which members of the audience become part of the performance … fractal images that rival nature's greatest masterpieces.
Digital Mosaics is the first book to explore the new digital media and the variety of art forms emerging from our computer culture. It is designed to change our traditional perceptions and definitions of digital expression.
Through the works of cutting-edge computer artists, composers, and designers, Digital Mosaics explores the possibilities of the digital medium and how it radically transforms the way art is produced and understood by the audience. Presenting an astonishing collection of examples, Digital Mosaics illuminates the qualities that make digital expression different from all previous artistic endeavours. From his discussion of the changing meaning of ""original"" art -- digital creations are at once infinitely reproducible and essentially ephemeral -- to his insights into the impact this kind of art has on the relationship between artist and audience, Steven Holtzman gives readers an unprecedented look at the new aesthetic that is laying the groundwork for the digital and art worlds of our future.
  rajendran | Feb 10, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684832070, Hardcover)

While we are constantly reminded that the digital medium is like none other, Steven Holtzman wants us to realize that we're not yet aware of just how different it is. The areas of uniqueness and its deeper capabilities as a means of artistic expression are just beginning to be explored. Holtzman takes us on a tour of some of the most exciting of these explorations. Moving back and forth among technical issues, artistic visions, and artistic technique, he pushes the door just a bit wider to reveal glimpses of new possibilities. While what's being done is exciting, the real wonder, Digital Mosaics shows, lies in the knowledge that today's artistic innovations pave the way for unexpected visions tomorrow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

Explores the difference between traditional media, such as books, theater, and film, and the recent development of cyberspace, which appears to shape not only how we communicate but increasingly the way we think.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,488,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible