De Vaticaanse moorden by David Hewson

De Vaticaanse moorden (original 2004; edition 2004)

by David Hewson

A shooting in the silent Vatican reading room. And the worst is yet to come... "Stefano's left arm, the one holding the weapon, swept the table, swept everything on it... She was quiet, waiting, which was, his eyes seemed to say, what he wanted. Then Stefano lifted up the bag to the height of the desk, turned it upside down, let the contents fall on the table and said, 'The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church'." Whilst Sara Farnese pours over ancient texts in the silent Vatican reading room, a brutal murder is taking place in a nearby church. Then suddenly a crazed man enters the Vatican carrying a bloodied bag. He walks up to Sara's desk. He has something he would like her to see... Soon Sara is inextricably linked to a series of horrific and cunning murders, each one representative of the death of a martyr of the Church. Into this climate enter Detectives Costa and Rossi, enlisted to track down the killer, and to protect Sara from the horrors he is capable of. It seems that at any time she could be the next chosen sacrifice...… (more)
Member:Dadoca
Title:De Vaticaanse moorden
Authors:David Hewson
Info:Baarn De Fontein 2008
Collections:Your library, To read

A Season for the Dead by David Hewson (2004)

The Lost Girls of Rome by Donato Carrisi (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: Thematic and stylistic similarities, although I think Lost Girls of Rome is better. They also both take place in Rome and have secret society plot lines.

English (22)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (25)
Hot, sunny Rome is dark

Someone is murdering people in Rome and draping their bodies in artistic ways imitating stories of early Christian martyrdom. It's weird and also terrifying, and young police detective Nic Costa and his partner, veteran police officer Luca Rossi get pulled into the center of the crime spree.

This is the beginning of a new series by David Hewson and I'm a bit ambivalent about it. The murders are gruesome, the multiple POV don't appeal to me much, and the revolting story of the crimes revolts me. Mr. Hewson makes some plotting decisions I'm not sure are the strongest.

I think that if I knew Rome and its churches better I would have enjoyed this book more. At least it would have been more personal.

I received a review copy of " A Season for the Dead" by David Hewson from Black Thorn press through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 24, 2020 |
A terrific first book in a mystery story series set in Rome, featuring Nic Costa as the police detective a little too idealistic for his job. This story involves the Vatican, the aftereffects of the dot-com crash, a serial killer, at least one beautiful woman, and Rome itself. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  ffortsa | Apr 21, 2018 |
I made a start on this last year but I just could not get into it. I thought I'd give it another try because the plot did sound interesting. I really found it quite a struggle to start, continue and finish. I'm not sure why that is, it just didn't seem to grip me at all. It's quite long-winded and seems to take ages to actually get anywhere. I didn't find any of the characters particularly likeable either, they were all a bit flat.

Some of the opening scenes were quite gross and described in great detail as well. I'm now more well-informed about how to skin someone alive than I ever thought I needed to be. I can see how people would come to this as being similar to Dan Brown because it's set in Italy, in Vatican City, and it involves a sort of chase across the city. But there's very little in the way of art history or clues in paintings and the sense of urgency is also rather lacking. It was all right, I'm not sure I'd recommend it though. ( )
  Ganimede | Aug 21, 2017 |
I liked the book, it was a quick read. His writing is not that great, but I was able to get past that. This type of story seems to be done a lot, think Angels and Demons.
I may read another in the series to see if he finds a little more original case. ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |
This was a gripping reading. I love Nic Costa's series very much but never read the first of this series earlier. This series is set in Rome and there is always a lot of historical facts but also lots of religion backgrounds. This story starts off at the Vatican but takes the assassin to different churches in Rome. The homicides are always arranged in the same way in front of an alatarpiece which show a martyr. There is also lots of corruption around the church but also the police. It takes Nic Costa a lot of twist and turns to solve the puzzle even though not to his perfect satisfaction. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 15, 2015 |

David Hewsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elskamp, Ineke van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The heat was palpable, alive. Sara Farnese sat at her desk in the Reading Room of the Vatican Library and stared out of the window, out into the small rectangular courtyard, struggling to concentrate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible