Lord Peter views the body by Dorothy L.…

Lord Peter views the body (original 1928; edition 1986)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (Short stories, 4)

Only Lord Peter has the wit to find the solution to these twelve baffling mysteries Some aristocrats spend their lives shooting, but Lord Peter Wimsey is a hunter of a different kind: a bloodhound with a nose for murder. Before he became Britain’s most famous detective, Lord Peter contented himself with solving the crimes he came across by chance. In this volume of short stories, he confronts a stolen stomach, a man with copper fingers, and a deadly adventure at Ali Baba’s cave, among other conundrums. These mysteries tax not just his intellect, but his humor, knowledge of metallurgy, and taste for fine wines. It’s not easy being a gentleman sleuth, but Lord Peter is the man for the job. This ebook features an illustrated biography of Dorothy L. Sayers including rare images from the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College.… (more)
Member:mhhza
Title:Lord Peter views the body
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (1986), Paperback

Lord Peter Views the Body by Dorothy L. Sayers (1928)

English (34)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (36)
Lord Peter Views the Body is a collection of short stories with Lord Peter Wimsey in the central position. Short stories are different from full length novels not only in the length but also in depth, and they kind of become "Mystery presentation Mystery explanation" with very little time in between. For me that means I miss that period of "it must have been X" and "no wait, it must have been Y".

One short story is a bit exceptional. Sayers designed a full crossword puzzle for it, and not an easy one either. I think that one crossword, and the whole story is worth extra credit but all in all the book is fine, but nothing special. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
While I enjoyed seeing Lord Peter in his various manifestations, the stories are not well-plotted and often are downright silly. The last story is perhaps one of the best and I was amused by this line: "I've got the great big top Moriarty of the whole bunch quietly asphyxiating at home." ( )
  PatsyMurray | Dec 19, 2020 |
A collection of short story collection usually has stronger and weaker stories in the, and this is no exception. Still, Lord Wimsy keeps his wit, his charm, and his cunning through out all of them. I find that when mystery writers used their characters in thriller situations it proves odd, even for Sayers who has made it clear that Lord Peter often undertook diplomatic and secret missions. Still, a perfect summer collection. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
This is one of my favourite titles, but not one of my favourite books, unfortunately. It's a set of short stories, ranging from 2 to 4 stars, mostly 3.5, I'd think, but rounding down so as not to mislead re quality. I love Lord Peter, most of the time, but these stories just didn't work for me the way the novels do. In many of them he doesn't seem like himself, he seems like whatever generic pulp hero is required for making the plot work out--the final story is especially frustrating and wildly unbelievable.

If you go your whole life only reading the novels, and then check this out for completeness' sake (as I've done), that's about right. Don't start here! Start with Strong Poison and then read forward from there, dipping back into Unnatural Death if you want a taste of a pre-Poison book (it's one of my favourites, owing to so much Miss Climson).

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
I read all of Dorothy Sayers's short stories last year (2019) and thus my introduction to Lord Peter was in this format. This collection of twelve was a very pleasant re-read and way to immerse myself in the Wimsey world again.

The stories themselves are a bit of a mixed bag, but in an interesting way. My favorites are definitely "The Learned Adventure of the Dragon's Head," featuring Lord Peter's nephew Picked Gherkins (I find Uncle Peter to be especially adorable, LOL), and "The Adventurous Exploit of the Cave of Ali Baba," the final story in this collection which would've made for a helluva standalone story! Talk about playing the longest of long con games! ( )
  eurohackie | Aug 7, 2020 |

George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehtonen, PaavoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Lord Peter Wimsey (Short stories, 4)

Belongs to Publisher Series

SaPo (238)

Is contained in

Contains

Is abridged in

The Egotists' Club is one of the most genial places in London.
I have always held that woman is a frivolous animal. A woman who pretends to be serious is wasting her time and spoiling her appearance. I consider that you have wasted your time to a really shocking extent. ("The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleager's Will")

Lord Peter Views the Body contains twelve short stories featuring Lord Peter Wimsey as detective:

• The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers

• The Learned Adventure of the Dragon's Head

• The Piscatorial Farce of the Stolen Stomach

• The Unsolved Puzzle of the Man with No Face

• The Adventurous Exploit of the Cave of Ali Baba

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,594,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible