La ladrona de libros (Spanish Edition) by…

La ladrona de libros (Spanish Edition) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Markus Zusak

40,658206737 (4.36)4 / 2059
Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors.
Member:fugaz_42
Title:La ladrona de libros (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Random House Mondadori (2008), Paperback, 579 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe (_eskarina)
    _eskarina: Similar setting (WWII), similar emphasis on the power of the books.
    Edelweiss Pirates: Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti (tiltheworldends)
    tiltheworldends: Nonfiction about BDM that Liesel was required to attend and Hitler Youth group that Rudy belonged to.
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)

Europe (9)

» See also 2059 mentions

English (1,934)  Dutch (31)  Spanish (27)  French (11)  German (9)  Catalan (8)  Portuguese (Brazil) (6)  Portuguese (5)  Swedish (4)  Italian (4)  Norwegian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  Finnish (1)  Romanian (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  All languages (2,049)
Showing 1-5 of 1934 (next | show all)
Now I understand why everyone and their mother loves this book. It's really an experience, one that I will have to repeat some time in the future. Everything about this was captivating: the fact that Death was relaying this story to us, the solemnity of the whole thing (the war, the death, the people, even death himself), the devastating—but sometimes heartwarming—scenery, and just the way the book was written. Each and every thing surprised me in some way.
I will definitely be checking out some of Markus Zusak's other books sometime, I'd like to see what else he has in store for me. ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Nov 9, 2022 |
The book thief shows many morals in all of the characters, because it took place in such a hard time these morals are easy to see. Each character has their own values that guide their lives and growing up during WWI and WWII, where there is so much hate, each characters have their own values they are easy to see in their everyday actions. ( )
  2embarrett | Nov 9, 2022 |
This is going to be short because I seem to be lacking words for how much I loved this book.

In fact, saying I 'loved' it almost seems wrong because reading this novel was so impactful and such an experience that... that I don't have the proper words.

This is the story of a girl, Liesel, set in Nazi Germany. She's a book thief. And the story is narrated by Death. That's all you need to know. I, personally, was sold when I heard about the narrator. Didn't even need to know anything else.

This is a beautifully written novel about the life of a young girl, the life of people, during war. And it really hits you, the amount of loss caused by war. And for what? Power? Some misconception? It seems such a waste of so many lives, simply because of one man's crusade and a nation of people at his disposal, whether it be by fear or manipulation. The book brings you closer to something that you usually recount only distantly. And it does a wonderful job of it.

This book was amazing. I love the character, the story, the narrator and everything it had to show and tell. This is one novel that I will not soon forget and I very much think that you should read it. ( )
  Azmir_Fakir | Oct 31, 2022 |
The author of this book provides a very creative approach to a horrific period in history. I appreciated the portrayal of a number of Germans during World War II who did not buy in to the Nazi propaganda. The characters were well-crafted and the story was powerful. As could be expected due to the subject matter, it contained some extremely sad events, but this makes it true to the era. For me, it had a deeper meaning buried within the story, including many evocative metaphors. I particularly liked the way the author points out how words and books can be used for both good and evil purposes, the human need to find a way to live in the midst of oppressive circumstances, and how relationships are forged through actions as opposed to words. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 1934 (next | show all)
The Australian writer Markus Zusak's brilliant and hugely ambitious new young-adult novel is startling in many ways, but the first thing many teenagers will notice is its length: 552 pages! It's one thing to write a long book about, say, a boy who happens across a dragon's egg; it's quite another to write a long, achingly sad, intricately structured book about Nazi Germany narrated by Death itself.

The book's length, subject matter and approach might give early teen readers pause, but those who can get beyond the rather confusing first pages will find an absorbing and searing narrative.

"The Book Thief" attempts and achieves great final moments of tear-jerking sentiment. And Liesel is a fine heroine, a memorably strong and dauntless girl. But for every startlingly rebellious episode... there are moments that are slack.

Writing fiction about the Holocaust is a risky endeavor. Most children learn about it in history class, or through nonfiction narratives like Eli Wiesel's "Night." Zusak has done a useful thing by hanging the story on the experience of a German civilian, not a camp survivor, and humanizing the choices that ordinary people had to make in the face of the Führer. It's unlikely young readers will forget what this atrocity looked like through the eyes of Death.

The Book Thief is unsettling and unsentimental, yet ultimately poetic. Its grimness and tragedy run through the reader's mind like a black-and-white movie, bereft of the colors of life. Zusak may not have lived under Nazi domination, but The Book Thief deserves a place on the same shelf with The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and Elie Wiesel's Night. It seems poised to become a classic.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Carol Memmott (Mar 20, 2006)

Markus Zusakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.

Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
An accordion
There was once a strange, small man
Liesel Meminger

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,102,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible