The book thief by Markus Zusak

The book thief (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Markus Zusak

27,806169736 (4.37)4 / 1844
Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:The book thief
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2006.
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, Germany, 2010, Judaism

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)

To Read (86)

English (1,594)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (19)  French (9)  German (9)  Portuguese (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (1,693)
I believe books are vital sustenance. A synopsis that divulged a young girl's introduction to that sustenance set against the chaos, horrors, and hard grays of Germany in WWII was satisfyingly intriguing. I try not to read reviews of books before I've finished reading the book itself should the wild spoiler escape its bait and trap of spoiler tags; I did pay attention to what seemed like consistently high ratings, however. The two points were enough that I was excited to finally pick this story up.

I've spent the past ten minutes looking for a gif that would accurately portray the 'I feel awkward because I didn't love this as much as everyone else has seemed to & I'm not overly sure of what to say about it' feeling I've currently got rolling around in my head. The following seemed apt.

Yep, apt it is. Especially since, having just finished this book, I'm not overly sure of my rating either. There were things I liked about the book and things that wore on me. For instance, Death as narrator. The premise of Death as specter and spectator was interesting; I enjoyed that it's character was not weighted by any one ideology and that It was fleshed in reliable narration. The character wore on me in several parts though. I appreciate creative storytelling and could see the conscious effort on the part of Zusak to develop Death-as-plot-device/character; it just didn't end up working for me. I wish I could pinpoint what exactly put me off but it's more an amalgam of things rather than a specific turnoff. The constant jump-to-it of Death to tell the reader what is going to happen seemed to interrupt not just the rhythm of the story as a whole but also any real chances for the other characters to be identifiably developed. Death anthropomorphized yet both immortal and apart, philosophizing yet naive... it became the mashed in puzzle piece that doesn't quite fit. Even when it hits the mark and is settled into a fitting place, the edges are a bit damaged and ripple incompatibly up against its surroundings.

There's another thing, that 'identifiably developed' deal mentioned before. All of the characters are battling both personal and outside chaos, all are coping with intense emotions. I wanted to identify with those emotions but, for most of the book, both chaos and consequential emotions felt more like plot manipulation than a captured glimpse of an individual. There were plenty of moments that pulled at me, they just weren't developed enough to plunge me under.

Add in some problematic prose that waxed... weirdly?.. and I think I might have talked myself into a lower rating for this book already. Huh. Basically, I get why some readers were extremely moved by this book and others couldn't get into it. While I'm part of the latter group - this book deals with sharp edged experiences that are weighty because of both their historical context and their current relevance on a personal and societal scale. I do think I would have been more stirred by this book had I read it at a younger age. Currently, however, it feels like a 2.5 star rating with a dappling of 3 stars throughout. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Költőiség. A szavak és a szeretetük. Rudy Steiner.

Így vett meg kilónként ez a könyv.

https://keptelenesernyo.wordpress.com/2016/07/20/markus-zusak-a-konyvtolvaj/ ( )
  FerencziBori | Sep 12, 2016 |
It's really more like 3.5 stars. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
one of my favorite books ! ( )
  waad1 | Sep 10, 2016 |
Wonderful, touching book. I wonder how they will make this into a movie. Hope they do a good job! ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Amazing the way something so beautiful can be written about such a dark period. Involving and completely addictive.
added by claudialima | editPortugal (Mar 30, 2012)

This over-praised, overlong novel is in trouble before it starts. The acknowledgments open with a tribute to someone “who is as warm as she is knowledgeable” and continue in the same saccharine manner.

Unsettling, thought-provoking, life-affirming, triumphant and tragic, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told. It is an important piece of work, but also a wonderful page-turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

This is a moving work which will make many eyes brim. Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity. It isn't only Death who is touched. Liesel steals our hearts too.

This is never an easy read, never a glide. But, in Zusak's ability to imagine and execute, he has achieved a very personal vision that grabs the reader and does not let go.

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a teacher's guide

For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,107,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible