Native Tongue (Skink Book 2) by Carl Hiaasen

Native Tongue (Skink Book 2) (original 1991; edition 2010)

by Carl Hiaasen (Author)

Series: Skink (2)

When the precious clue-tongued mango voles at the Amazing Kingdom of Thrills on North Key Largo are stolen by heartless, ruthless thugs, Joe Winder wants to uncover why, and find the voles. Joe is lately a PR man for the Amazing Kingdom theme park, but now that the voles are gone, Winder is dragged along in their wake through a series of weird and lethal events that begin with the sleazy real-estate agent/villain Francis X. Kingsbury and can end only one way.… (more)
Member:dferdiaz
Title:Native Tongue (Skink Book 2)
Authors:Carl Hiaasen (Author)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2010), Edition: 1st, 500 pages

Work Information

Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen (1991)

Another fun book from Hiaasen. ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
An entertaining if odd environmentally-aware crime comedy. I like the style, and I enjoyed the book, but it also felt a bit like environmentalist propaganda. I've got more Hiaasen books on my shelf to read, and I'm definitely going to read more of his stuff, but I wonder now if everything he's written is focused on environmentalism. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
Another great book by Hiaasen! His plots are complex and delightfully convaluted which is amplified by his assemblage of whacky and idiosyntric characters. While Skink and his compatriot Jim Tile are the characters that tie these stories together, they are really the supporting cast to an array of characters that are offbeat and at first glance, not realistic. But the more he develops them, the more realistic they turn out to be. And I think that with Hiaasen, as with most good writers, the characters are his real strength, building the plot and providing the famework on which it twists and turns. And for me, personally, I love that Skink is an enviromental activist and even militant in his pursuit of its protection. Another most worthwhile entry in the Skink catalogue. ( )
  Al-G | Feb 7, 2021 |
I love Carl Hiaasen books unfortunately I have problem with the slow pace of this one. Overall it's very entertaining especially the characters and humor throughout the book. My favorite character has to be the bad guy, Pedro Luz. The steroid addict security guard who walked around with steroid drip IV rig. He also became concerned and obsessed with measuring and documenting his sexual wand. There wasn't much of Skink in this one which was a bit disappointing. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
To say that [Native Tongue] is a typical Carl Hiaasen is to mislead, in that "typical" is too often a pejorative. With Hiaasen, "typical" is laugh-out-loud, head shaking, raucous, outright fun. His plots and the characters that animate them are over the top...and yet very close to truth and reality.

In [Native Tongue], what powers the action is a theme park in the Florida Keys, a cheesy low-rent DisneyWorld. The impresario of the Amazing Kingdom of Thrills is Francis X. Kingsbury, a man made wealthy through condo and resort development on environmentally sensitive land that crowds out wildlife, including endangered species, and pollutes coastal waters. Corruption at all levels of government, of course, enable Kingsburg's projects. What no one knows is that Kingsbury, formerly of New York City, is a beneficiary of the Federal Witness Protection Program, under the auspices of which he was whisked from a federal courtroom, in which he testified against fellow mobsters, to Florida. The mobsters betrayed want him dead (once they find him) but an awful lot of Floridians do too.

Molly McNamara is one such, and she isn't reluctant to take a low road to her goal. The book begins with two low-life numbskulls, driving away from the Kingdom and pitching two ratlike critters out of their pickup's windows. It turns out that Molly hired the pair, Danny Pogue and Bud Schwartz, to steal the two blue-tongued mango voles—the last two of the species, saved from extinction by Mr. Kingsbury's minions. They were supposed to be delivered to Molly. She's not happy when they arrive at her condo without the voles.

"…[T]ell me what happened."
  Before Bud Schwartz could stop him, Danny Pogue said, "There were holes in the box. That's how they got out."
  Molly McNamara's right hand slipped beneath her bathrobe and came out holding a small black pistol. Without saying a word she shot Danny Pogue twice in the left foot…
  "You boys are lying," Molly said.

Mere gunshot wounds can't break up this trio. Molly, Danny, and Brad amble in and out of the storyline right up to the end.

Joe Winder is another. After getting fired from his last newspaper job for being just a little bit opinionated in his reporting, Joe takes a PR job at—most naturally—Amazing Kingdom of Thrills. Joe's self-assigned mission is to bring the kingdom down, by hook or crook. The menace he must dodge is Pedro Luz, the kingdom's security chief, a muscleman so enamoured of steroids that he drags an I.V. stand around with him so he can suck his preferred mix from an I.V. bag.

There's more, but I'll leave it for you to encounter as the story progresses. Hiaasen generates my preferred sort of comfort reading. This 'in gets two thumbs up from me.
1 vote weird_O | Jul 13, 2020 |

Carl Hiaasenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falls, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stimpson, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother Rob
On July 16, in the aching torpid heat of the South Florida summer, Terry Whelper stood at the Avis counter at Miami International Airport and rented a bright red Chrysler LeBaron convertible.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446613207, 044669570X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,907,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible