Bank Shot (The Dortmunder Novels Book 2) by…

Bank Shot (The Dortmunder Novels Book 2) (original 1972; edition 2011)

by Donald E. Westlake (Author)

Series: Dortmunder (2)

With the help of an unusual set of cronies, bank robber John Dortmunder puts a set of wheels under a trailer that just happens to be the temporary site of the Capitalists' & Immigrants' Trust and hauls it away. But when the safe won't open and the cops get close, Dortmunder realizes he's got to find a place to ditch the bank.… (more)
Member:Matt_B
Title:Bank Shot (The Dortmunder Novels Book 2)
Authors:Donald E. Westlake (Author)
Info:MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (2011), 207 pages
Tags:BookBub

Bank Shot by Donald E. Westlake (1972)

English (13)  Swedish (1)  All languages (14)
Funny, short and with Westlake’s wonderful unique style, these always deliver. ( )
  Matt_B | Oct 17, 2020 |
This is a crime book (rather than a mystery). The idea was fun but Dortmunder didn't appeal to me as much as Bernie Rhodenbarr does. ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 29, 2020 |
Dortmunder and his partners in crime steal a bank, not just the bank's money. I always wait too long between Dortmunder books, and then when I read one, I ask myself why I don't read Westlake all the time. He's so fabulous. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Sep 7, 2018 |
It's hard to reconcile the facts that the author of these Dortmunder novels is the same as that of the Parker ones. The two Dortmunder books I've read are amusing enough for audiobooks in the car, but they're also pretty corny, with lots of forced humor. But the Parker ones (of which I've read the first nine) are ultra-cool. I also laugh much more while reading the Parker books, even though they don't have any jokes: I laugh at the over the top toughness of Parker and how he talks to those he finds beneath him. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
Master criminal planner Dortmander is reduced to selling encyclopedias to the housewives living on Long Island when his friend Kelp tells him about a “sure thing.” Seems Kelp’s nephew Victor is a former FBI agent who has noticed a perfect opportunity – a local bank is undergoing major renovation and so operations have been temporarily moved to a mobile home in a nearby vacant lot. All they have to do is hitch the trailer to a truck and they can steal the entire bank!

Westlake created a wonderful character with Dortmander – a master planner of elaborate crimes who is cursed with a gang of not-quite-competent accomplices. If anything can go wrong with Dortmander’s perfect plan, it will. The only thing that seems to save Dortmander and his friends is that the police are equally (or more) inept than the crooks. I just find myself cheering for Dortmander’s crew, sharing their frustrations, shaking my head at their obvious mistakes, chuckling at their mishaps. This comic caper is the perfect antidote to a gray dreary day. I’ll be smiling for hours just thinking about it.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

SaPo (168)
For Bill Goldman
Here's something to think about at the icebox.
"YES," Dortmunder said. "You can reserve all this, for yourself and your family, for simply a ten-dollar deposit."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,691,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible