Love you forever by Robert N. Munsch

Love you forever (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Robert N. Munsch

A young woman holds her newborn son And looks at him lovingly. Softly she sings to him: "I'll love you forever I'll like you for always As long as I'm living My baby you'll be." So begins the story that has touched the hearts of millions worldwide. Since publication in l986, Love You Forever has sold more than 15 million copies in paperback and the regular hardcover edition (as well as hundreds of thousands of copies in Spanish and French). Firefly Books is proud to offer this sentimental favorite in a variety of editions and sizes: We offer a trade paper and laminated hardcover edition in a 8" x 8" size. In gift editions we carry: a slipcased edition (8 1/2" x 8 1/4"), with a laminated box and a cloth binding on the book and a 10" x 10" laminated hardcover with jacket. And a Big Book Edition, 16" x 16" with a trade paper binding.… (more)
Member:whcslibrary
Title:Love you forever
Authors:Robert N. Munsch
Info:Scarborough, Ont. : Firefly Books, 1986.

Work Information

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (1986)

Love You More by Susan Musgrave (WeeTurtle)
    WeeTurtle: Both share a soft but realistic art style, with love as a focal point, though the themes are different.

English (431)  Spanish (3)  All languages (434)
Obviously enough, I'm in the minority here, but this children's book is weird, creepy, disturbing and will probably give me more nightmares than any Stephen King novel ever did.

"Love You Forever" is, as the title indicates, about a mother who loves her sweet little baby boy forever, until her baby has grown into an adult and she into an old woman. I'm perfectly fine with the message that mothers (respectively parents in general) will always love their children and will (in most cases - sadly enough, there are always exceptions) do everything for them to be comfortable. But Robert Munsch simply overexaggerated while portraying this message, and finally made me see a totally different message in this book: That a mother's love justifies stalking her children and entering into their lives in one of the creepiest and most disturbing ways - by climbing a ladder to her son's bedroom, entering the house and picking her son up to rock him back and forth while he's sleeping.

I'm sorry, but this is so weird, I can't even find it funny anymore. Yes, the book is meant to be understood metaphorically, the book is supposed to be somehow funny and cute and oh-so-sweet (although I only furled my eyebrows in confusion rather than actually laughing). In the beginning, the book was still interesting; everyone can relate to the way children can bring chaos into everything. But then the mother began to enter her son's room at night. Is it okay to go into your two-year-old son's bedroom while he's sleeping with the intention of admiring him and admitting that you will love him forever? Yes, it is. I am totally fine with that. Doing so with a nine-year-old son begins to show signs of creepiness, but it's still acceptable.
It isn't acceptable if your son is thirty and has moved on with his own life. You can't just break into his house to admire him, indifferent from how lonely you might feel. (And yes, I understand that this book is not supposed to be taken seriously, and it's not even realistically possible for an old woman to be able to pick up her full-grown son while he's sleeping, but this book pretends it is, so I will too.) There are thousands of better ways to incorporate a message about a mother's love into a book. I wouldn't even consider this one to be a children's book ... calling it a horror novel would perhaps be more appropriate.

If you want to read a fantastic children's book, then please skip this and read [b:The Velveteen Rabbit|144974|The Velveteen Rabbit|Margery Williams|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347748913s/144974.jpg|1602074] instead, which is an absolutely wonderful story. Or if you want to read two more reviews of "Love You Forever" which I really enjoyed and can whole-heartedly recommend reading, then read this Anne's review or the other Anne's. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Not my style ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
Love You Forever presents the unconditional love that parents are expected to have for their children, despite the behavior of those children as they grow up. The love that a parent has for a child is an unrestricted love that never falters. ( )
  _Mayrita1 | Feb 27, 2022 |
At first glance, this is a book that demonstrates a very deep, and caring love of a mother for her child. The book shows the mother rocking the baby when it is asleep and singing the song "i'll love you forever..." However, this continues as the boy becomes older, and older, and eventually until the boy is out of the house. The mother then essentially stocks the man in his home, and climbs up a ladder, and through a window while he is asleep, and repeats this pattern. Although the book seems to demonstrate how a mothers' love has no boundaries, or something metaphorical like that, It actually could be an example/model for our kids of an extreme, and unhealthy relationship without healthy boundaries. The behavior is also not very rational. For example, she could call, or announce her visit, and demonstrate her affection in a more transparent, and healthy manner. All in all, the book is still heart warming, but as a teacher, I would use it to first tug at the heart-strings, and then to point out these unhealthy, and extreme behaviors. There are parts of this book that I would use as a non-example, and also to get my students to think critically about what they read, which is exactly how this book was presented to me, and I found it to be a very valuable lesson in really thinking critically about what I read, and dissecting the book completely. ( )
  fmatiella1 | Feb 23, 2022 |
This book is about a mother singing to her son and the different stages that the son goes through. It started okay, but immediately; I had a funny feeling about the story. I thought that the mother was going through post-partum depression for the turn that the story took. I felt like the mother was narrating the story as if she was being overprotective of her son. Then, when she was telling the story about visiting her adult son at night, that's when I knew that the story was weird. Later, I learned that the author's baby was dead, and he made this story for him. It was really creepy to learn about the story behind the book. Definitively, I will not use this book in my classroom. ( )
  karlah1 | Feb 12, 2022 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

This is a story about the strong bond between a mother and her son. We watch as the mother stays behind her son as he grows into a young boy, teenager, young man, and a father of his own. This is a great story about family and love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,389,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible