Jack of Fables Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts by…

Jack of Fables Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts (2007)

by Bill Willingham, Tony Akins, Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Matthew Sturges (Author)

347None31,919 (3.62)22

Birthday gift to myself! ( )
  capriciousreader | Dec 20, 2013 |
4/5

I preferred this novel to the previous volume. I loved how Jack was also Jack Frost and seeing that tale. I really want his son to come into play in later novels. Also enjoyed Lady Luck in Vegas. I hope to see her again. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
The second collection of Jack of Fables adventures opens with Jack hiding out from the literals in the Wyoming mountains along with Pecos Bil, John Henry and Alice from Alice in Wonderland. To pass the time Jack tells his companions the reason why he doesn't feel the cold.

Back in the Homelands Jack was once the consort of Lumi, the Snow Queen (Fables readers would know Lumi as one of the Adversary's key commanders, she's currently trapped in the capital under Sleeping Beauty's spell) and she gave him control of the winter. As usual Jack made a mess out of it and had to flee the kingdom for his life. It was nice to go back to the Homelands and see the Fables team's unique take on some old fairy tales. Miffed that the other three didn't believe his story Jack takes off for Las Vegas alone.

Outside of Vegas Jack meets up with Gary the Pathetic Fallacy and uses that individuals unique abilities to make a fortune on the tables. After a big night Jack wakes up in bed with a beautiful blonde called Holly, who just happens to be the heiress to a gambling fortune. Unfortunately Jack's incredibly wealthy new father-in- law owes his fortune to a group of Belgian mafiosi who are determined to collect one way or another.

Meanwhile a vicious Fable who goes by the name of Lady Luck is torturing and killing anyone with unnatural luck, Jack and his new family are on her radar, as are two nerds who have come into possession of a magical horseshoe. Gary has fallen in love with a mannequin he calls Noelle.

The Belgian mafia manage to blow up Jack, his wife Holly and father- in- law as revenge, the only reason Jack survives, is because he's a popular Fable and the Mundane's belief in him keeps him alive, he also made a number of deals with various devils back in the day in the Homelands.

Jack inherits his dead wife's fortune and gets a visit from Lady Luck. She gives him an ultimatum and that's something you should never do to Jack. He manages to arrange it so that the Literals on the hunt for him wind up bagging Lady Luck. Jack's dead wife's lawyer fixes the will so that Jack winds up with nothing, and he and Gary end up on the run from Vegas.

Remember the nerds? A strange twist of fate involving the horseshoe brings Noelle to life and one of the nerds ends up with her.

It was pretty wild and crazy stuff. It's different to Fables, but in a good way. I have a strange liking for Gary. He is pathetic, it's true, but he's amazingly powerful. I have to confess I don't and never have understood why he puts up with Jack.
  EJAYS17 | Aug 28, 2011 |
So, I'm still enjoying "Jack" though it is not nearly as good as "Fables". Jack is not exactly a likable character but there are times when one can't help but laugh along with him and hope he gets out the mess he's in. One thing I'm glad to have found carried over from "Fables" is the directory of characters at the beginning of the book. This helps introduce new characters and remember who old characters are especially the further you get into the series.

This time we start with Jack just after the great escape where he meets up with three other new Fables who have been wandering on their own and they decide to go high in the mountains to avoid recapture from the Golden Boughs staff. The first two issues have them sitting around a fire, while Jack reminisces to keep them all warm by telling them of the time he was Jack Frost. Here we get to see The Snow Queen again and find out how she turned evil. I enjoyed this story and there is a reveal about Jack at the end that we can, hopefully, expect to come into play sometime in a future edition.

The rest of the book is devoted to the title story in which Jack meets up with Gary, whom I've grown fond of, and who has become Jack's sidekick. With the help of Gary's talent they set off for Las Vegas and Jack makes his fortune all over again but little does he know that behind the Vegas scene is the Fable Lady Luck, who brings luck with her wherever she goes but at a price, sucking the luck out of the brains of Vegas' most lucky players. What follows is Jack's typical near death escapades as he tries to beat Lady Luck at her own game and keep his Vegas empire. Lady Luck was a delightful evil character and the ending hints she may show up again. Gary adds tons of humour to the plot, his power is to animate inanimate objects, and he spends the story accompanied by a mannequin named Noelle he has grown fond of.

Generally just a couple of fun stories though we do have some characters and loose ends that are left dangling as possible entries into the plot further down the line. Time to order Volume 3 from the library! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 14, 2010 |
Eh, I like fables and the first Jack book. This one just didn't strike my fancy. The first story showed some interesting fables, who then doesn't have any part in the story. The rest of it Jack uses his near immortality to prove that no matter what happens, he stays the same. Kinda like Star Trek. Oh well.
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Akins, Tonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sturges, MatthewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Look, there's another one of the Golden Bough's kidnap vans prowling around down there.

Jack reveals the secret of his former relationship with the illustrious Snow Queen -- when he took her powers and became known as Jack Frost. And in present times, he lands in Las Vegas and meets his lovely new bride, a directionless heiress. Could it possibly be "happily ever after" at last? -- Publisher's website.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible