The New Kings of Nonfiction by Ira Glass

The New Kings of Nonfiction (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Ira Glass (Editor)

6451923,862 (3.93)2
An anthology of the best new masters of nonfiction storytelling, personally chosen and introduced by Ira Glass, the producer and host of the award-winning public radio program This American Life. These pieces-on teenage white collar criminals, buying a cow, Saddam Hussein, drunken British soccer culture, and how we know everyone in our Rolodex-are meant to mesmerize and inspire. --From publisher description.… (more)
Member:ConnecticutMom
Title:The New Kings of Nonfiction
Authors:Ira Glass
Info:Riverhead Trade (2007), Paperback, 455 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The New Kings of Nonfiction by Ira Glass (Editor) (2007)

A couple stand outs, mostly just decent stuff. Kings? I'm not so sure about that. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
I can't really fault the book for being eight years old and thus no longer "new" when I received it as a Christmas gift. I can, however, fault a book billing itself on its newness for containing many essays that were ten years old or more when the book was published; a quick calculation indicates the average age-at-publication of the essays at nine years.

Nor, I suppose, can I fault a book talking about "Kings" of non-fiction for being overwhelmingly male-dominated. Twelve of the fourteen authors are male, with the female authors relegated to writing about female experiences of male spaces, or of contexts where women are expected to please men; Susan Orlean writes a profile of a supposedly average (i.e. white, suburban, and middle-class - this is in fact specifically described as the description of "typical") ten-year-old boy, and Coco Scales writes about working as a hostess in an exclusive LA nightclub. Not only the authors but the subject matter for the remainder of the book are drenched in testosterone; should you choose to read this book despite this review (since it definitely does have a target audience, after all), you'll read about beef cattle, the World Series of Poker, Saddam Hussein, and World War II.

Midway through David Foster Wallace's interminable profile of a minor conservative talk radio host, I seriously considered abandoning the book half-read; instead, I decided to give each of the remaining essays a chance. I bailed partway through three of the remaining portions, but finished the last four essays.

Having opined about two of the three key words in the title, I suppose it's time to talk about "nonfiction"; all of these are definitely non-fiction, but it's all in a narrow genre of journalistic nonfiction heavily focused on individual experience; there's little history here and no science. ( )
1 vote lorax | Aug 3, 2016 |
really cool nice short stories, excellently written on all sorts of real topics ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
Really excellent! I hope Ira Glass will write more. This is short essays that Ira Glass had stacked up because he liked them so much.

I found another that is in this vein, Fiddler in the Subway by Gene Weingarten ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
How can you go wrong when you include in an anthology of recent nonfiction the work of such greats as Susan Orlean and Malcolm Gladwell and David Foster Wallace? And a great editor like NPR’s Ira Glass? Call it creative nonfiction. Call it personal memoir. Call it narrative nonfiction. Whatever you call it, it’s some of the best writing out there. A bit dated (copyright of 2007), but well worth a read. ( )
  debnance | Jun 24, 2013 |

Savage, DanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scales, Coco HensonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wallace, David FosterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weschler, LawrenceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,513,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible